White Collar: I've Got You

When Peter arrested Neal, he brought along multiple heavily-armed agents.

It was probably overkill.

But Neal was a slippery character who had eluded the FBI and Interpol for too long. Peter wasn't going to take any chances now that they had finally tracked him down.

On the way outside, Neal stumbled. Was he pushed too aggressively by one of the agents? Or was he trying to make a getaway?

Peter reacted by strengthening his grip on Neal's arm, pulling him upright. "I've got you," Peter said. Did he mean that as a statement of support? Or as a reminder that Neal couldn't escape?

The dichotomy became a hallmark of their relationship.

*

When Neal escaped from prison months before his release, Peter was once again the agent who found him. "They'll put you away for another four years," Peter said, clearly disappointed in Neal's choices.

Neal was sitting on the floor of an empty apartment recently vacated by his girlfriend. "I was too late."

"I've got you," Peter said. "And all you have is an empty wine bottle."

"Keep it for me," Neal requested, as armed agents flooded up the stairs.

Peter took the bottle and stepped forward to tell the agents to stand down.

*

When Neal stepped through the prison gate wearing the tracking anklet, Peter said, "You understand how this works, right? I've got you for four years."

*

When Peter entered the warehouse, he found Neal locked in an office. Neal's tracking anklet blinked red. He'd known that the FBI would chase him here, that he'd given them the excuse to storm the building and to find evidence they could use against Hagen under a rule of law called exigent circumstances.

"Hello, Peter." Neal glanced meaningfully toward a safe filled with evidence that would seal the case against Hagen. The door swung invitingly open. "You caught me." He offered Peter a cigar.

"I've got you," Peter agreed. "This makes me what, 3-and-0?"

*

When Peter tracked Neal down to the island, the agent greeted his CI — and his friend — with a hug. "It's damned good to see you," Peter said, patting Neal's back.

And when they left the island, with Neal in handcuffs even though he'd helped capture one of the FBI's most wanted criminals, Peter said, "Trust in the system, Neal. I've got you."

*

When Peter realized that Neal had faked his death, he booked a flight to Paris. Accompanying Peter were Elizabeth and their baby, named after Neal.

The reunion was a joyful one, and they discussed how they could stay in touch without incurring the wrath of the Pink Panthers.

Baby Neal was learning to walk. His steps were shaky as he navigated the unfamiliar apartment. Adult Neal reached out to steady the toddler.

The baby stared up at him.

"I've got you," Neal promised.

And that's when Peter knew the dichotomy had been resolved. I've got you meant they supported each other.

A/N: Inspired by Flufftober prompts: Day 1 - I've got you, and Day 5 - 5 times