White Collar: Too Hot to Cuddle

Summary: A tag for the Power Play episode, which involved power outages during a heat wave. Peter and El are waiting for their home to cool down enough to sleep. The heat makes El grumpy, but Satchmo benefits.

A/N: Inspired by a Tumblr prompt for a reverse trope: too hot to cuddle

The good news is that the power is back on. The bad news is that after the day's record temperatures, two hours of air conditioning is just barely starting to cool the townhouse.

Peter and El sit on the sofa, watching TV to distract themselves from the heat.

Normally, TV viewing late in the evening would have them leaning into each other on the sofa. Not tonight. They're on opposite ends, each holding a glass of ice water.

It's nearly midnight. Peter has an early morning meeting, and he needs sleep. "We should go to bed," he says.

El groans. "It's hotter upstairs."

Of course. Heat rises, and the bedroom is going to be even more uncomfortable than the sofa.

"I could bring down our sleeping bags – make a mattress here on the floor," Peter offers.

And soon they're on the floor. Peter's stripped down to his boxers, and El's in his most threadbare tee shirt. "No cuddling," she tells him.

It's still dark when her voice wakes him.

"What?" he asks.

"No cuddling," she admonishes. She sounds grumpy.

Confused, he rolls over and sees that their Labrador is stretched out against her back. "Satchmo," Peter whispers. The dog raises his head.

There's a rule that Satchmo isn't allowed on the sofa. They only break it on special occasions, and Peter makes a judgement call. He points at the sofa, and says, "Up."

Satchmo doesn't hesitate. He bounds onto the forbidden territory.