Crossover: Emma & P&P - Wealthy, Wise, and Worthy

At the age of twelve, Emma Woodhouse was a pretty and happy child. If she had a vexation, it was a slight one - she had a desire to experience London, but her father's disinclination to leave Highbury made it unlikely that she would ever undertake the journey.

However, the next year Isabella Woodhouse married John Knightley, and Emma expressed a wish to accompany her sister in shopping for wedding clothes. The Knightley family considered the matter, and Emma overheard them telling her father that it was best to address her curiosity regarding life in Town now, when she was still too young to have her head turned by a handsome rogue.

Distressed at the thought of both of his daughters being taken from him by the bonds of matrimony, Mr. Woodhouse had reluctantly agreed that the Knightleys could take Emma with them.

In general, Emma found London rather too loud and too crowded for her taste. However, intimate gatherings with friends of the Knightleys proved more to her liking. One evening in particular, they dined with the Darcy family. After the meal they were entertained by Miss Georgiana Darcy, who played the pianoforte. This was, indeed, Emma's least favorite part of the evening, for she was then obliged to admit that she was not proficient enough to follow.

She promised herself she would practice more when she returned home, and she mentioned in passing that Georgiana's expertise brought to mind a Miss Jane Fairfax - an acquaintance of their same age who had family in Highbury.

This comment brought more excitement than she would have expected. A cousin of the Darcy family - wearing the red coat of the military - mentioned a Lieutenant Fairfax whose orphaned daughter Jane was now staying with a colonel of their regiment. "I may be able to introduce you," he offered Georgiana - who was eager to meet another prodigy.

As this did not interest Emma, she turned her attention toward a conversation she had been ignoring - about the wedding. Indeed, mere minutes later the senior Mr. Darcy posed the question Emma had hoped to avoid, of her own matrimonial prospects.

Having learned on her first evening in Town that gentlemen did not like to be told she had no desire to wed one of them, Emma said, "My tastes are perhaps too exacting. Isabella tells me I will feel differently when I am older." This brought knowing chuckles in response and the conversation moved on.

Later Emma and Georgiana enjoyed a conversation about books. Georgiana described ones she had read, and Emma recommended similar ones that she intended to read. Thus happily occupied, they did not at first perceive the younger Mr. Darcy approach. Indeed, he might have remained undetected if he had not commented, "You both prefer romantic literature."

They turned to face him, and his sister said, "Are you going to tease me again about my preferences?"

He sat beside her and said, "No, it is not my intention to tease. But I am intrigued by Miss Woodhouse's response to our father's question earlier. You tastes are exacting, you said. What qualities are on your list?"

Emma studied him a moment, wondering if this were the beginning of a flirtation, but his interest seemed purely intellectual. She had many lists at home - lists of books she meant to read, of songs she should learn to play - why not craft a list of the traits she desired in a husband?

"He should value me for myself," she began, "not for my family's wealth. That is... He should give me reason to believe that he would not squander what would be settled upon me at our marriage, for I wish to remain as comfortable as a wife as I am as a daughter."

"Then he should be wealthy in his own right and have shown himself to be wise in matters of managing his estate."

That was not quite what Emma had intended, but she realized she did not know how else she could be certain that a man met her requirements. She continued, "He should be familiar with Highbury and be content to remain there, for my father would be heartbroken if I were to leave. And he should be patient with my father's... old-fashioned notions."

Mr. Darcy nodded. "A wealthy, wise, and worthy neighbor. It is an exacting list."

Was it too exacting? Who, in her limited circle of acquaintance, could come close to meeting her standards? Rather than ponder further, she asked, "And what of your list? Will your bride be a renowned beauty?"

"I care only that she be beautiful in my eyes," he responded. "I do not wish for a flirtatious coquette whose beaux will challenge me to duels."

"Lovely and loyal," Emma said, summarizing the qualities on his list as he had done for hers.

"I should like to see you marry someone who will make you smile," added Georgiana. "Sometimes you are too serious."

"Lighthearted," Emma added to his list, appreciating the alliteration.

Georgiana continued the game, suggesting words that began with L for her brother's list, and words that began with W for Emma's list. Winsome was rejected, but witty was a tempting addition.

Later Emma wondered if this was the beginning of her fascination with Mr. Weston's son. Frank had taken the surname of his guardians, but there was still a W connection to be considered.

###

"Your gloves, Miss Woodhouse," said the clerk at the Highbury shop as he handed her a neatly wrapped bundle.

"Thank you," she said, and turning, noticed an unusually fashionable young woman who had just entered the store.

"Miss Woodhouse?" asked the newcomer, a familiar voice bringing recognition.

"Miss Darcy!" Emma exclaimed. "Jane told me you would be here for the wedding." They exchanged pleasantries while Miss Darcy completed her own purchase, and then they made their way together to the home of Jane's aunt, where they were both expected for tea. Emma knew better than to expect she could renew her acquaintance with Georgiana around the verbose Miss Bates, but the next evening brought them together for dinner at Mr. Weston's home, where the seating arrangement encouraged conversation between the two young women.

"You traveled here with friends?" Emma inquired.

"Yes," Georgiana confirmed. "Charles Bingley is an old friend of Frank Churchill."

"And that is Mrs. Bingley?" Emma glanced in the direction of the stylish, haughty woman who had accompanied Mr. Bingley.

"No, that is his sister. Mrs. Bingley will arrive tomorrow with my brother and his wife. My sister-in-law and Mrs. Bingley are sisters, and they lingered in London to visit family on their way here."

"And is the new Mrs. Darcy lovely, loyal, and lighthearted?"

Georgiana's eyes danced with merriment. "Very much so. She is exactly what I wished for my brother. And..." She paused dramatically. "Her name is Elizabeth." She emphasized the first syllable of the name.

"Short of beginning with the letter L, you could hardly ask for a more auspicious name," Emma agreed.

"I understand you are to be wed soon," Georgina said. "Is your suitor wealthy, wise, and worthy?"

"He is the very epitome of each adjective. Indeed, my only complaint is that there is not a W to be found anywhere in the name George Knightley."

A/N: Someday I hope to add a chapter from the POV of Elizabeth when she arrives in Highbury... As usual I have more plot bunnies than I have time to chase them!