Prologue (Part 1)

I knew the moment you came into my life; I would never let go of your hand.

What's one of the best ways to get over your fear of embarrassment in public? Get yourself embarrassed. Trust me it works.

When the dainty porcelain vase tilted on a dangerous angle, threatening to fall from the glass table and drop onto the ground with a resonating crash, I did the only thing that struck me: dive.

If only my little stunt was as picture-perfect as the movies make it to be, I might have been spared of that embarrassment.

I caught the vase aptly in my hands, my legs shook underneath the slippery floor and I fell, kicking the glass table.

Its screech was enough for all heads in the room to snap in my direction. Parents, children, the receptionist and even the domestic staff carrying trays of coffee and teachers passing by!

I quickly scrambled to my feet and with shaking hands, placed the vase and dusted my clothes.

Some parents just shook their heads and got back to their work while a few shot sympathetic glances at me. Few spoiled brats snickered to themselves and either stuck out their tongue at me or gave me smug smiles. Oh, how I would defeat those little bastards with one fist!

One kind staff lady even asked if I was ok, but my cheeks and neck were burning too red for me to answer. She then adjusted the vase on the table and left.

At that point, dear readers, I gave up on being too self-conscious. I was done with putting up a good first impression in another campus of the list of schools that we decided to apply to. Because being clumsy and perfect never go hand-in-hand. And I, the Prince of Mishaps and Accidents will have to forgo my painfully earned title to become 'perfect.'

Sorry, too much hard work.

"Neil Cullen Byrne!" A voice hissed behind me and I jumped. Oh goodness, the ultimate judge of justice and fate loomed over my shoulder. "I can't even leave you a minute or two alone before you create a scene!"

And she pulled me by my arm, away from the reception filled with a line of awaiting parents and their children. We stepped away from the marble floors and onto soft, green grass. This entire campus was surrounded by either gardens or a forest from all sides.

"Look, Neil." Mom sighed and ran her hand through her chocolate-brown hair. "I know we have tried multiple schools and some with no luck...but believe me, this is the one for you. This school is perfect."

"What's so special about it?" I grumbled, kicking a pebble. "It'll just be my tenth or twelfth attempt."

Mom just took a deep breath. "I won't go on rambling about what facilities and stuff this school holds. But let me tell you, you'll love this school as much as EVS. It'll be enjoyable, starting all over, in middle school, here."

I knew she was trying desperately for my benefit. Mom wanted my schooling experience to be a memorable one, something she never got, and as a middle-class beta family we tried even harder than others.

Aranya West Academy was one of those institutions at the top of A-list schools for not only offering syllabus applicable to real life and wide range of opportunities but also for indiscriminately accepting alphas, betas and omegas.

That's what majorly got mom here.

"Fine." I gave in. "I'll try my best."

Mom beamed, making me try all the more worth it. "Do your level best, sweetie pie!" She playfully pinched my cheeks before I could shrug it off. "Be yourself, and don't get intimidated by the interviewers, ok? It's not our turn yet so go and relax in the playground there."