Chapter 13

Jamie's POV

Problems never delay

Are you in need of some thrill in your life? Please adopt my cousin:

Name: Dennis

Alias: Denny (family), baby bro (Doris), Dennis the Menace (me) and Devil (also me).

Missing since yesterday.

A notorious mischief-maker who'll leave no stone unturned in adding some colors into your life. Oh, and chaos, I might add.

My life in Aranya, which had been smooth-sailing so far, capsized this morning.

I had gone home yesterday with tempting thoughts of sipping hot chocolate at the windowsill, against the rainy backdrop. We all knew Dennis roamed around the city often after school.

Yesterday too none of us expected him to turn up before 6 pm. But when it turned 8, it got everyone distraught.

Oh, God! We'll never reach the end if I narrate you the drama that ensued. All I can say is that after hysterical panic, some crying and 100 calls later – we came to know Dennis was last seen with Neil at the traffic signal nearest school.

Goodness knows where they went.

What I do know and resent is that I am held responsible for it!

Why? For not keeping an eye on my precious little brother (he's 2 months younger).

"Guess what they said?! I am the more 'responsible' of the two so it's my natural duty."

"Well, that's a little too much responsibility to shoulder." Maya bit her lip, when I filled in her this morning at the lockers. "But considering how Dennis and Neil are, it's natural."

"I bet they'll be fooling around somewhere." I muttered.

But some part of me wondered, what if he wasn't and was wrapped in a genuine problem?

I shivered, putting the thought aside. I heard Maya chuckle and saw her with a knowing smile on her lips.

"What?"

"Nothing." Maya continued smiling. "Remembered this thing I'd read somewhere – about getting in the biggest fights with people we care the most."

I didn't know how to retaliate against that. But loving someone and expressing it are two different things. And I am not great in the latter.

"Don't worry." Maya gripped my arm. "They'll be fine. But we won't be, if we don't head to Trunchbull's class right now."

The thoughts of the she-devil had me scrambling for my bag and running to class.

We made it well in time for Trunchbull's class, and she herself wasn't there – disbelieving, considering her love for punctuality.

The class was filled with only a couple of kids chatting, so we took our seats. They were whisper-arguing, but Maya and I were pretty close enough to hear most of it.

"What's the use of being an omega?" A guy crossed his legs loftily.

"Oh, please. Being an omega also has its pros." Adrien, one of the most beautiful boys in our class snorted.

"Really?" "Yes, like dating all hot alphas. Even if I turn out to be an omega, at least I can date Michael."

(Maya gagged. "How can anyone date that conceited brat?!")

"Apparently, your secondary gender can surface sooner. Even before the exam."

"How's that possible?!"