Chapter 5

Dennis' POV

I am a rebel with a cause.

This is it. The wind's howling wildly. The trees are cheering. The sun is setting the tracks ablaze. And even the birds are holding in their breath.

The tips of my fingers graze the heated track as I crouch.

"And get set-go!"

My heels instantly kick against the rubber. The wind rushes into my face to welcome me, the trees and everything around are a dancing blur while the track is a flaming path to my victory.

It's like my entire body is alive – heart pounding, muscles stretching and that wonderful flying sensation when my feet leave the ground.

I am quickly approaching the white line and give myself the best power booster I can, and jump.

I fly in the air for a moment and the next, I land in the soft sand and skid to a halt.

"6.2 meter!" The sports coach Midoriya yelled. "Terrific one Dennis!"

I got up, dusting the sand and grinned at him.

Neil, who was bouncing up and down like a puppy came running towards me. "That was awesome man!!" His face was vibrant. "Here's your water bottle."

I took the bottle and stepped out of the sand pit while Coach Midoriya called the next guy.

"You think I'll get in for the inter-house competition?" I asked.

"Of course!" Neil looked indignant. "It's a wonderful score – 6.2! The previous time you barely managed to cross the 6 meters mark."

It feels so good to have such a supporting friend!

"It'll be an even more wonderful score if you support me there." I flashed a quick, teasing smile his way, pleased to see his cheeks redden.

"Yeah, yeah," Neil looked away, huffing. "And I'll be wearing a cheerleader's outfit and shaking those pom-poms at you."

"There is a cheerleader's team in this school." I added. "You could join there-you'll distract all the players in the field."

Neil made a grab for me but I was too fast for him and had already got ahead, laughing.

"But, really," I continued. "what will you join?"

We sat down at the stands.

"Don't know." Neil shrugged. "There are so many opportunities here. And it's confusing me as to what I can do best."

"Swimming?" I suggested. "Or perhaps..."

Neil is one of those who has a diverse range of interests, so finding one he can specialize in is tough.

"Basketball?" A voice almost startled us.

A tall guy stood in front of us, with an athletic build and sandy hair. Even the faint scent of mahogany was sufficient to confirm: this guy's an alpha.

He wasn't from our batch, so he must be a senior. Beside him, was another boy almost as tall as him. But I could smell no pheromones on him.

"Hello there." The first guy said in a deep voice, smiling politely. "I am the captain of the middle school basketball team. I was on the lookout for potential players. Are you interested?"

Neil and I couldn't help but gape. Here are we, as newbies, being personally offered a place in the school's basketball team by the captain?!

"Woah," I said, spreading my palms. "A very generous offer and really thanks for that. But, aren't we supposed to try out first? I've heard the try outs are yet to be held."