Chapter 12

Dennis' POV

Expect the unexpected

"F***, it's closed!" Neil cursed when we reached the school gates.

"Wasn't that expected?" I half-chuckled, ignoring the disappointment crawling up my throat. "The gates close at 9:15 am."

We had begged the security to let us in, but they were adamant that latecomers first needed to be reported to Ms. Hendrix, our coordinator. If she found our reasons genuine, we'd be let in. What's worse? Our parents will be notified of this.

It wasn't a problem for Neil, whose mom already knew we were going to be late and she didn't seem to mind it.

Unlike my parents, who were sticklers for rules in this regard.

"Who knew these guys took punctuality so seriously?" Neil groaned.

"Every school has pointless rules like that." I sighed.

But dread began filling me. Dread, which had been multiplying secretly since we had left Neil's home.

If the tryouts had started on time, how long would they last? An hour at least?

"I have called Ms. Hendrix." The burly guard spoke. "She's currently in a meeting so you'll be waiting in the visitor's gallery while she wraps it up."

Gods, no!

"How long will she take?" I asked, bracing for the reply.

"Dunno. It just started apparently. Half an hour?" He twirled his fingers, whistling to himself in good humor.

Fat chance of me making it in time to the tryouts!

My palms itched terribly and I had this urge to punch something. Is this the price we have to pay for a little extra sleep?

I ran my hands through my hair and observed the bleak boundary brick walls.

"What do you wanna do now?" Neil looked at me.

"I don't know." I shook my head. "Even if we try explaining them, they won't get it."

"You are really gonna go for the diplomatic way?" Neil raised his eyebrows. "I thought Dennis Blackwater was all for being a troublemaker?" He smirked at me in a taunting way.

"What do you mean?" I snarled. Is this the time for teasing?

"You were looking at the wall. I saw it. I know what you're planning."

I was flummoxed, looking from the wall to him. Then the obvious struck: we could jump over the walls.

I noticed it now but the walls weren't quite high. Not more than 6 feet. I glanced at Neil, who nodded discreetly.

"Whatever you're deciding, do it fast." He chin-pointed towards the security guard who was chatting with a lanky guy.

I went a little further ahead of the two men and ran my hand over the rough surface. There are gaps in between. Enough to slip one's toes through.

"You kids had better wait in the gallery now!" The burly guy hollered. Neil flinched.

My heart pounded with each breath, fast as a hummingbird's wings.

Neil and I gave each a quick nod before –

"HEY-WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?!"

In no time we started scaling the walls, ignoring the security guy's yelling and got to the top. And we jumped.