Prologue (Part 2)

Jamie's POV

I may be alone, but I am not lonely.

Do we ever realize that the bird's eye can capture stunning scenes even the latest of cameras cannot? Do we ever appreciate that ants may be tiny but travel for miles a day, much more than us? Do we ever respect an old tree as a warrior who has withstood the harshest of weathers and still stands proud?

Not unless we begin to see things beyond their "value."

I think we all definitely need an urgent crash course on treating other people as proper human beings first.

Especially these kids in this playground.

I sighed, brainstorming for creative ideas for my next song. How about a song on the power of water? There are gushing streams, torrential rains, disastrous floods and the lawless seas and oceans. Maybe I could-

A great shrill arose, ten times louder than a horrible violin player and the next second a football landed hardly on my lap and knocked my book off my lap and onto the floor.

That's it. I gripped my pencil so tightly that it broke with a snap.

I looked at the direction this wretched ball came. The same bunch of kids came in my direction, frowning as they saw the ball had landed back here, for the third time.

"Didn't we tell you we'll be playing here?" The guy who wore a neon-yellow t-shirt in the lead snarled. "And that you should move elsewhere?"

"And didn't I tell you not to treat this playground as your private football court?" I spoke calmly.

My reply offended them and the leader crossed his arms, huffing indignantly. "As if this is even a place to sit and write stories, huh?"

I know. I am at the campus of Aranya West Academy, sitting here between the trees, near the playground, to unwind after my interview with the headmaster. And you, are an obnoxious brat interrupting my personal space and my train of thought.

"Maybe it's not. But it isn't a place for you to boss around people either." I retorted and lifted my book, brushing off the leaves and dust.

By now, the leader seemed to have had enough. He stepped forward and I braced myself.

"Woah, woah, woah. What have we got here?"

We all turned towards the source of the voice. A boy stood with a cool, confident smile and with hands on his hips. His amber eyes shone like golden lens camera, capturing the scene.

"Why not just shift to the other side and play football there?" He spoke jovially, rubbing his hands.

"Even you are siding with him." The leader grumbled. "Who are you to act as judge here anyway?"

"I am Dennis." He grinned. "And I'll show you a game more interesting than plain old football if you'll leave this guy alone here." He pointed towards me.

"My buddy here is in need of 'me time' for his creative juices to flow for his next song. But there's no place to hang a "Do not disturb" sign."

The gang shifted and began talking amongst themselves when Dennis, observing that, spoke again in an appealing tone. "How many of you are good at climbing? Playing on the ground is fine but climbing is where the real fun lies."

A couple of them looked at each other puzzledly before one girl spoke up, "I am good at monkey bars."

"Great." Dennis flashed an encouraging smile. "You see that huge climber there in the corner? I bet you guys can climb it,"