Chapter 1 (Part 1)

Neil's POV

I want to explore the world, in all its ups and downs with you by my side.

Sometimes, your least expectations in life turn out to be truer than those you most anticipated.

I didn't believe in it until I went for the interview with Mr. Octavius (the headmaster) though. I tripped in as soon as I got past the door. I stuttered and stammered and also mixed up my previous school's name with that of Riverdale!

But Mr. Octavius laughed it off.

And somehow, don't ask me how, I am now a student of Aranya West Academy.

But the realization didn't sink in me until I stood in front of the campus with my bag.

The building was modern with large glass windows, sunlight flooded in and the appealing cherry red and off-white painted walls and spacious wooden floor were easy on the eyes.

I followed the rest of the crowd into the campus, who were instructed by the teachers to go towards the amphitheater. My heart beats quickened and occasionally bit my lower lip. My palms itched.

Like a hidden world emerging from the sea of trees, the modern amphitheater stood out. A perfect oval, as if an entire chunk of forest had been cleared off to construct this structure.

A stage occupied the center of the amphitheater where a couple of teachers stood including my interviewer – Mr. Octavius. On one side of the amphitheater rows of stone seats curved around and on the other, a giant spherical dome rose sheltering those below it.

It was the most shaded area and at the end were a pair of glass doors leading somewhere. As people began assembling and took their seats, I too clutched my bag tightly before swallowing the lump in my throat and made my way through the crowd.

When everyone was seated, Mr. Octavius took over the mike before clearing his throat.

"A splendid morning to one and all present here." He spoke cheerfully. "I hope everyone is eager to begin yet another year of learning, fun, but at the same time, gain memorable experiences."

"Isn't he an alpha? He is chill for one."

"I have heard that he's one of the coolest headmasters of this academy. My mom knows his family personally."

"Whatever, I just think his dress sense is classy."

People around me began to whisper continuously about Mr. Octavius, the teachers, how big this campus was, blah blah blah and at one point it became unbearable for me to listen to it.

With so many people gathered at one place, I felt suffocated. My breathing quickened and I kept shuffling uncomfortably in my seat. The occasional breeze cooled me down, along with a few fragrances like cherry but others were much more subtle. Vague. They were either sweet/bitter or kind of pungent.

"I welcome back our old students for another exciting year ahead and request them to be patient and guide their juniors. And I welcome the new students to Aranya West Academy and hope you enjoy your time here!"

A round of applause followed, during which I wished I could get up and move to the uppermost seats to feel free but that would mean I'll be more visible to everybody else.

How I wish Dennis were here! With him next to me, he could have probably calmed me down. Did he make it here? Of course, with that confidence and attitude he would go places.

And right then, as if nature too was confirming, a blast of cool wind blew in my face along with the scent I missed: a vanilla-honey blend – honeysuckle!