Chapter 8

Dennis' POV

I found the spark to the fire.

While I was sour about leaving my lunch halfway, some part of me was curious as to what Harsh had got to say.

We walked away from the cafeteria and into the football court; a long stretch of plain grass and stone seats bordering it.

Harsh stopped there, climbed onto the seat and patted the space next to him. I sat there and asked, "Ok, now what is it you've got to say?"

"I'll be honest with you Dennis." Harsh sighed. "I won't deny that we do need an omega for our team and we found you a good player for the spot – but not for the reasons you think."

"Then...why?" I asked the million-dollar question.

"Because..." he ran his hand through his hair messily. "Our school has changed the rules regarding the basketball team players. They want every house to have two omegas in the team and at least one on field."

"Woah-you mean reserved spots? But why?" I asked.

This had never struck me as one of the possible reasons why Harsh's team could have been so desperate for an omega to join.

"The school revises the rules according to NSPA does or might do." Harsh explained. "That's the National Sports Association. Responsible for conducting sports tournaments and competitions all over the country. And to send players to international competitions."

"And recently they did this research – and that the % of omega players they sent or participated in sports was pathetically low. Some 1/12th of alpha or beta sportspersons. And I think, you might have an inkling about this Dennis."

Upon giving it a serious thought, I found Harsh to be right. I was always brought up majorly surrounded by news of successful alpha athletes or hardworking beta sportspersons.

I did hear of omegas too, very few and only a handful of them well-known.

"It's not that omegas don't do sports." Harsh added quickly. "They thrive in particular sports – swimming, badminton, table-tennis. But not the more uh, aggressive sports as they put it. Soccer, basketball, boxing, etc. There are not many out there."

"It's not just our country but many others. Omegas have breached the barriers of many sports but...some are still dominated by alphas and betas sometimes."

"And NSPA is dynamic. They don't want to wait for change. They like being the change."

It flashed as lightning to me. The answer.

"I get it! You mean to say that NSPA wants more omegas to participate. And our school probably sensed that, and they changed the rules because, they wanted to be the initiators? The path-bearers?"