Chapter 17

Neil's POV

When your schedule changes faster than the weather/beware of the Cheshire cat in the hallway (your pick)

I snaked my path around people in the hallway in the morning, who were all gossiping about today's basketball tryouts. What got everyone more excited was the announcements of spots for omega players on the team. The tryouts were anything anyone could talk about but the more I heard about it, the more jittery I got.

I was worried about how Dennis was going to fare today. He was in such low spirits the past few days, especially for the herculean task of getting Shouta to train him. Then there was Obito.

The very thought of seeing that snobby jerk, early in the morning irritated me. He wasn't an easy opponent. Whether it was due to his natural ability in basketball or because he took advantage of being a dominant omega and used his pheromones to get what he wanted.

"Neil!" I saw Maya waving me at me with a frantic expression.

She was standing near the big bulletin board, where a sizable crowd had gathered. "What happened?"

She pointed to the largest notice in the middle of the board.

When my eyes glanced at the title, my heart skipped a beat.

Aranya West Academy

Rescheduling of Secondary Gender Exam

All students of grade 6 are hereby informed that the secondary gender exam scheduled for the 31st of September will be preponed to 13th September due to unavoidable circumstances.

The secondary gender exam will be conducted after lunch break. Students are requested to coordinate with the examination process.

"But that's today!" I exclaimed. "Why are they doing it half a month early?! And what about the tryouts?!"

Maya gingerly pointed to the last paragraph.

All events scheduled for today including auditions for the music and dance teams, sports tryouts and Friday Clubs stand canceled until further notice.

- Mr. Octavius

Headmaster

"Dennis will be really disappointed." I muttered. In fact, I can already imagine his crestfallen face, anger bubbling on the inside.

"But isn't it a good thing?" Maya asked, half-unsure. "I-I mean he wasn't thoroughly prepared, he and Shouta practiced only yesterday, didn't they? Doesn't that give them more time?"

"That's not the point!" I replied. "It was already postponed once, and we had taken a hella big risk to get into campus ONLY to learn the news too late. Plus, they've done all they could and would rather give it their best than have it postponed again!"

I didn't have words to describe how disheartening it may be for someone with such a ready spirit like Dennis. It's like staying up all night for a project to be handed in tomorrow, only to be told next morning the deadline's been postponed.

He wouldn't trade extra time for the effort he's put till now. He wouldn't.

"Oh!" Maya's eyes widened when they rested on someone behind me. "H-Hi Dennis."