Chapter 9

Jamie's POV

Destiny loves games

Saturday. 9:45 am. Our car pulled into the Montgomery residence driveway. The door was opened by one of the guards, who bowed at us.

I hastily got out to feel the wind on my skin, to ease that itchiness in my palms due to the upcoming meet but instead I was face to face with the extensive Montgomery Mansion looming ahead. Its steep sloping roofs over the limestone body and the huge round and faceted towers seemed to have come straight out of the French Renaissance architecture.

"It's quite surreal, isn't it?"

A stunning man in a navy-blue single-breasted suit gotout of the car after me, his heavy-lashed cerulean eyes regarded mynot-so-confident posture.

"Yeah. I guess mom." I tried a self-assured smile but all I did was make my mom– my omega parent frown.

9:53 am. Mom and I walked along the huge mansion, passing dozens of rooms, my heart picking pace with every step.

"Don't worry sweetie." Mom smiled encouragingly, tucking a wild strand of hair behind my ear. "Everyone in our family's been through this. Even Doris and Jonah."

Mom's words didn't exactly reassure me but his eyes seemed to gleam with pride. As if, I was going through some rite of passage.

9:57 am. We arrived in front of intricately carved wooden double doors.

Mom gave three sharp raps before we entered. Seated on a high table were an elderly couple.

The elderly woman looked up and her crinkled face broke into a smile. "Marion!"

"It's been a while, Mother." My mom smiled. Mom hugged Grandma, a short but an elegant figure - something that mom takes after her.

Grandfather, still seated cross-armed, just grunted in response to our arrival.

"My, hasn't he grown a lot lately?" Grandma hugged me, patting my back. "Just like his father, I suppose. Except for his blue eyes and his build."