Chapter 19

Dennis' POV

Nothing's scarier than waiting to have your blood sucked

We were careful not to run into any teachers on our way back, especially Mrs. Wisteria. I am not fond of history and I had made the greatest mistake of showing it in her very first class. Since then, keeping in mind my troublemaker reputation, she would make me sit in the first bench along with Neil and watch us like a hawk.

In our short absence the news of the gender exam had spread like wildfire. A strange feeling of ecstasy and trepidation lingered in the air – as if the day of judgment had finally arrived.

We made our way towards our classroom when Maya waved at us, swinging both her arms in the air like a welcome mascot. "You okay now?" She asked as we neared her.

"Yeah." I said sheepishly. "Just lost my cool for a bit."

"Oh, it happens!" She smiled. "Btw, why didn't you tell me about this Dennis?!" Her eyes sparkled. She moved aside and who should be hiding behind her but a blondie blue-haired boy who had been missing from our lives for decades.

"Jamie?!" Neil exclaimed. "That's quite the surprise!! How're you feeling now?"

Indeed, it was Jamie, back to school after his first heat and first kidnapping too. He smiled in his characteristic kind way, the exhaustion and fever he had experienced in his heat had withered away replaced by a fresh, new energy.

"I am fine now. Maya would constantly text me and I felt bad for being away for so long, so I thought of surprising you."

"Weren't you supposed to come tomorrow though?" I asked.

"I was bored resting at home the whole day." Jamie rolled his eyes. "I asked dad if I could come to school a day early, so we called up Ms. Hendrix and here I am."

"That's great!" Neil beamed. And so was Maya. I swear she had never looked as happy and bouncy in our company for the past few days then she does now.

Is my company that boring and exhausting?

Guess I am not an easy guy. Neil's the only one with the honor to have seen and handled all sides of me.

"But wait." Maya blinked. "We have the gender exam today. So, what will you do then?"

Jamie nodded. "Dad and mom just told me to go ahead and take the test like everyone else. Otherwise, it would seem odd. Because no one except you guys knows I got my first heat."

That was true. Jamie's heat was so unexpected and he was kidnapped soon after, no one really noticed it unlike Nezuko.

The bell rang just then. "See you later." Maya waved as she linked her arm with Jamie and almost dragged him with her.

"She really missed him, didn't she?" Neil chuckled. "True." I agreed.

Our classes went on as usual but of course no one was interested. The moment we were waiting for, finally arrived when lunch break got over and Ms. Honey entered.

"Ok, everyone. Let's head down to the basement. Be relaxed and please remember, everyone's made different. So, there should be no reason for you to discriminate amongst yourselves. Accept yourself for who you are, and others too."

Everyone broke into conversation as we headed downstairs. The basement didn't house much except an auditorium and a couple of storerooms. But when we arrived there, the whole basement had been transformed into some scene right out of a hospital. Long aluminum wall partitions were used to create several small cubicles – each serving as a room for the gender test. Along the corridors stood rows of chairs where some students were waiting for their turn.