Chapter 16 (Part 4)

Dennis' POV

I undergo strict training

I didn't waste a single moment as I took to my heels and followed Shouta. The bell rang right then - signaling the end of the day. The corridors were getting crowded and it was getting hard to keep track of Shouta, whilst squeezing past the crowd.

Damn it, I didn't think he'd be this sensitive regarding Obito!! It seemed like even after two years, his wounds and those memories with Obito were pretty fresh in his mind.

I finally got a glimpse of Shouta storming into his empty classroom and ran with all my might towards him. I grabbed the doorknob as I entered and swung it, banging it shut. I was gasping for breath and leaned against the door.

"Get out, Dennis." Shouta barked. "Find someone else who can take the hopeless task of preparing you for the tryouts."

"No." I surprised myself when my resolute voice echoed in the classroom, and so did Shouta. "I am not going without knowing the reason why you're refusing to help me."

His eyes narrowed in irritation. "That's none of your bus-"

"I want to know whether you're refusing me because well-we aren't exactly the best of pals or it's because of Obito." Shouta's fists clenched and I could see the veins stand out on his neck and arms.

Sorry Neil. I know you told me to appease Shouta - but I don't possess charm nor is it my style. I can't convince Shouta so there's only one other option left: provoke him.

"If it's because of me, then I promise you Shouta, I won't take your help for granted and I will do my level best. If I get selected, I'll never neglect my team nor teammates including you. But I am still ready if you wish to continue our lovely rivalry on a personal level." Some of the anger on Shouta's face was replaced by confusion, his thick brows pinched together - trying to make sense of what I was telling.

I could tell he was still pissed enough to kick me out of the door if he wished but at least he was listening. That's all I wanted.

"But if it's because of Obito," Shouta's face darkened upon hearing the name and muttered a curse word I won't repeat. "Look, I won't intrude on what happened between both of you. I am not giving you free advice. But if you're avoiding helping me, because he's involved...it's that you're scared. You're scared of facing him."

"Just shut up, punk!" Shouta snapped. "You don't know what you're talking about! You don't know anything that happened between us! If you showed this much interest in basketball rather than poking your nose in my life, you wouldn't need to be asking me for help."

That's it. I've reached the max. limit for my patience. He's had it now.

"Yes, you're afraid!!" I burst out. "You've bottled up all your frustration and anger, that every time you see him, you feel like it's gonna blow any moment. And when he gets in the team, he'll make your life miserable! You aren't willing to face it!! And you tell me I am like a petite doll that'll break out of fear when I see the competition, but in reality you're like that!! Afraid and hesitant to confront him. And you call yourself an alpha!!"

I whirled around and threw open the door, but still held on to it. I spoke in a low tone, "You still haven't given me your final answer. So, I'll wait for it. It's in your hands now."

Though it's Shouta's choice to decide whether he'll help me or not, I felt I already knew his answer. And that dejecting realization seemed to weigh me down with every step I took.

There's no way he'll agree with the way I snapped at him. Shame invaded my heart when I replayed the scene in the classroom again and again in my mind. He probably won't even talk to me for the rest of the year!