Chapter 2

Jamie's POV

Sometimes, friends crash out of trees.

If I ever get to pen down a book in future, I will title it: "How to be a master class-bunker." There has always been some class in our life which is so monotonous, unappealing or we just simply want to avoid.

I am in one such class now. I scanned my surroundings. The athletics ground was quite crowded; some were involved in various activities over the tracks, or playing with the hula hoops or just walking around.

The sports coaches in the corner haven't noticed anyone missing.

Before you think I have bunked this period because I hate sports, hold onto your horses.

Imagine playing when the air is so dry and stuffy that it gives you a pounding headache, you can't feel much wind and the weather isn't any pleasant yet you sweat where you are standing without doing anything. You wanna sign up for that?

There are some who are into the sweaty stuff but I am not one of them. I prefer diving in the water rather than sweating buckets under the sun.

The trees around the athletic ground are numerous, giving great room for hiding. I relaxed under the old banyan, with its huge, long roots hanging limply around me.

I let out a long sigh, relaxing my muscles and leaning over the dark bark. How about a scenery sketch? I am in no mood for poetry now.

But what will it be on?

Crack! The sound shook me from my thoughts and I glanced towards that direction it came from. No one.

I observed the ground. Leaves and stones were strewn all over the dry soil, along with a few branches.

I returned back to my sketch ideas and began brain-storming. Soon, I was carried away to the world of evergreen tropical forests, adorable pandas gnawing on bamboo and the corals of the sea.

Yet, in all of this, a weird noise-like rubber against bark was omniscient. Gods, what is that?

The hanging roots were swaying slightly. I frowned.

Suddenly, a short scream pierced the air. "Oh-shit!"

I got to my feet in time to hear a thud as loud as a war drum and heard someone cursing and moaning.

A girl had landed on the ground to my left, clutching her waist and dusting her clothes.

I rushed to her. "You okay?" I proffered my hand.

"Thanks." She accepted it and spoke in a bashful manner. "Guess I suck at climbing. Good that not many heard it."

She bit her lip, while her rich emerald eyes blinked in gratefulness.

"No problem, everyone has their own strengths." I nodded.

She smiled at that and the sea of freckles on her face moved like waves. "I must have ruined your peace."

"No," I shook my head. "I am afraid I might have ruined something for you."

"Er-what?" The girl asked, blinking confusedly.

"I might have ruined your opportunity to approach me."

The girl was taken aback, a look of guilty acceptance and awkwardness in her expression.

"Um," She tugged at her t-shirt. "Er, you know what? I, yeah, I was. But how did you-," she looked at me in wonder. "Come to know?"

Well, it's not exactly rocket science. But I'll still explain.