65. Lucky Man

It was never a pleasant experience having a memory extracted. But this wasn't the first time Harry had experienced the removal spell or the first time he had seen the pensive that sat in the Headmistress' office. But as he sat waiting for Professor McGonagall to finish reviewing the events, he thought back to this morning's meeting. His heart ached for his friend. To be told you are a burden is not easy. Well, it was for Harry, who was used to hearing it. Growing up with the Dursleys wasn't filled with love and laughter. He was constantly told he was a burden, a waste of space, or better yet, a freak. But he was shocked to hear it come from Kingsley. Someone he thought so highly of. Harry knew that what Kingsley said was not what he was necessarily feeling. His words weren't the best choice. But it angered Harry.

Sloane was an absolute angel, and Harry had grown very fond of her since that first day he met her. She was honest and caring and made time for everyone. The little sessions she held were a godsend in Harry's opinion. She was easy to talk to and a great listener. Her advice was always well thought out, and you could tell that she genuinely cared and wanted to help you. Ron had been a complete git to her since he met her, and yet she defended him time and time again. She took the blame for his alcohol and she was the one to come up with the sleepwalking lie to keep Ron from being throttled by his parents.

Not that he didn't deserve it.

Honestly, Harry thought her ability was a real gift. The way she saved Blaise during the summer. Not only saved but cured. Because of Sloane, he has had no issues with his chest since. Something that used to bother him daily. And she managed to cure Harry's anxiety with just a touch. Something that was slowly eating away at him. He couldn't shake it but knew it was affecting him in his day-to-day life. But Sloane helped, and it felt like a weight had been lifted off his chest.

She was a little miracle.

Harry was so consumed with his thoughts that he didn't hear McGonagall emerge from the pensive.
She smiled as she watched Harry daydream. Lost in his own little world. In all the years she had known the boy, she had never seen him as carefree as he was now, and it was a joy to witness.

"Apologies, Professor, I was miles away." He said, shaking his head.

"Quite alright," she smiled. "Thank you for sharing this with me. It will make it easier to research when we know what we are dealing with." Harry nodded. "And I am glad to see Miss Sage was able to heal your ankle. That was a nasty bite you received. Do you feel any pain now?"

"No, Professor. It feels perfectly fine now. I was lucky she was there."

The Headmistress nodded. "She is a true diamond that girl. The way she brought you all together. I must admit I never thought I would be able to get you and Mr. Malfoy to even speak civilly to each other. And now look at you. Sharing a dorm and spending time together."

"It came as a shock to us all," Harry chuckled. "But we aren't actually that dissimilar, Draco and I. And when you put our egos aside, we actually got on quite well."

"I am glad to hear it. I always knew you two had the potential to be friends." She smiled again. "And I am happy to see the relationship between you and Miss Granger blossom." Harry blushed. "I am not so old, Mr. Potter that I can't see the connection between the two of you. As lovely as Miss Weasley is, I always thought you and Hermione would make a lovely couple. And it turns out I was right. Although I usually am."

Harry blushed even deeper. "I adore her, Professor. It just took me a long time to accept my feelings."

"Understandable. Risking your friendship for a relationship can be risky. But if it works, it's well worth it."

Harry smiled at the Headmistress before sighing. "Professor, do you think I am being selfish, offering to research rather than help fight whatever this is?"