Chapter 44 - New beginnings

Sun rays kissed his skin as Abhimanyu stirred in his sleep, a low grunt left him as his arm felt like a stone. He tried to move his hand but a soft weight on it prevented him from doing it and that's when his lids rose open, falling directly on a fast asleep Akshara. She was clinging to him like a koala, her arm across his chest, leg thrown on his own, and her soft snores grazing his skin through the thin material of his t-shirt. He pushed away a fallen hair strand on her face without waking her. He thought back about their cat and mouse fights and how they couldn't stand each other in the same room.

He mentally laughed at himself. How fast the nights changes, he couldn't spend a day without her now. His expressions fell at the thought. How would he last six months without her? Regardless of what she decides, he'd to encourage her for the best for her future and an internship at Siarra's was a golden chance. There's no way he's letting her do something stupid that she might regret all her life.

Lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice her stirring awake before opening her eyes completely. His eyes dropped on her when her palm reached out to graze his cheek. She smiled sleepily at him. "Good morning Abhi..." If possible, his eyes softened further as he leaned in her palm to place a kiss there.

"Morning Baby, slept well?" She snuggled closer to him, her arm wrapping tightly around his mid section. "What do you think?" She raised a playful brow.

His lips twitched slightly as he played along. "With how loud you snored, I'm sure you slept like an actual baby."

"Abhi!" She punched his side. "I don't snore!" She protested which was met with a roll of eyes. She smacked his abs again before burying her face in his neck. After a minute of silence, she spoke again. "Something's bothering you."

It wasn't a question, rather a statement. She heard him go still, followed by an exhale. Her voice lowered. "Did I do something?"

Abhimanyu rolled them to the side, lying them face to face as she used his arm as her pillow. Her fingers went to trace circles on his chest, nonchalant, sending goosebumps all over his spine.
When she didn't look up at him, he tilting her chin up to meet his eyes.

"Is there something that bothers you, Troublemaker?"

She scoffed. "You." Gathering her thoughts, she elaborated. "You're mad at me for something, aren't you? Else you wouldn't have not meet me once I regained consciousness." His eyes shaded with shame and guilt. "I'm sorry." He apologized to her. His absence had hurt her. Her outburst from last night made perfect sense.

"Abhi... don't be sorry. I was rightfully angry last night but we're cool." She assured him bringing a hand up to his face. "But if you're upset with me, I'd prefer you fighting with me than avoiding or ignoring me." She confessed as tears glistened in her eyes. "Because your silence hurts."

"I'm so sorry, Akshu." He mumbled apologies kissing her eyes and forehead. "I was worried about you...I wasn't thinking straight." He told her. She nodded. "Is it because of my family? Do you think it'll change our dynamic?" She asked suddenly sitting up.

His brow shot to his hairline as his eyes widened. "No! No. Of course not. What did I tell you about overthinking Akshu?" He groaned sitting up in front of her. His hand caressed her face as his eyes stared into her sincerely, earnestly. "I'm the happiest that your family accepted you, baby. I wanted this for you. You've no idea how happy I am for you, Akshu. You deserve everything."

Akshara couldn't help the smile that stretched up her lips as her worries left her in a whoosh, leaning over she hugged him tightly. "Thank you. I wouldn't have gotten them back without you." She breathed softly in his neck as she pecked the juncture between his neck and shoulder. "And I truly believe that my Mumma sent you to me."