Chapter 47 - Pledge

The Birla house stood adorned in a tapestry of floral elegance, with cascading garlands of marigolds, roses and daisies framing its facade. The entrance, draped in intertwined vines and blossoms, looked more welcoming and warming than ever, as Abhi stood in front of wooden doors, beside him, his Maa and behind them, the Goenka family. He pushed the door open and led them inside.

"Akshu di!" Nishta exclaimed upon spotting her, rushing to embrace her. "I was so worried! How are you doing now?" she inquired, pulling away to assess her condition. Akshara felt a warmth in her heart—Nishta was the sister she had never had. "I'm fine, Nish. I'm much better now," she reassured, placing a lingering palm on her cheek.

Neil casually draped an arm around Akshara. "She's in good hands, Nish," he stated, trying to ease any concerns from the elders. However, he shot a teasing look at Nishta, glancing over at Abhi, who was already glaring at him.

The Birla siblings suppressed a smile upon seeing the couple, then warmly welcomed the Goenka family, including Harsh, Anand, and Parth Birla. Leading them to the living room, they settled in, and drinks and snacks were graciously served. BadePapa proudly introduced Kartik, referring to him as "my son," his eyes reflecting immense pride. Witnessing her Papa's broad smile, Akshara felt a wave of happiness as she smiled. Abhimanyu, observing from his spot on Parth Bhai's couch's armrest, silently prayed for that smile to stay on her face.

"Akshu told me that you were her second family here. I can't express enough gratitude. Thank you so much for taking care of my princess," Kartik conveyed, fondling his hands. Harsh shook his head and gently held Kartik's hands. "Anyone important to my son is important to us," he stated sincerely, leaving Abhi momentarily speechless. "Akshara is part of our family," Harsh affirmed, recalling Abhimanyu's broken expression when the girl was unconscious. He would do anything to protect Akshara if it meant Abhi's happiness.

"I behaved immaturely that day. I'm sorry. Thank you for being there for our sunshine when we couldn't," Manish Goenka's words interrupted his thoughts.

"Bhai saab, please don't put us in a tough position," Manjiri interjected. "You don't need to apologize or thank us for anything. Akshu will always have a place in our home," she assured, with Mahima and Anand nodding in agreement.

As BadePapa's gaze settled on him, Abhimanyu swiftly interjected before any words could be spoken. He stood up and sat cross-legged in front of BadePapa. "I'm sorry for how I talked to you at hospital." He apologized, making the families frown in confusion. "But I'm not sorry for what I said." He murmured sternly, briefly glancing at Akshara before returning his eyes to Manish. "I meant every word."

Akshu looked between Abhi and BadePapa as she inquired. "What happened Abhi?"

.
.
2 days ago at Birla hospital >>

Manish and Abhimanyu exited Anandwardhan's cabin, enveloped in a tense silence. Abhi tightly gripped Akshu's medical report, grappling with the weight of the information he had just learned about her health and, more significantly, her history of panic attacks. Gritting his teeth, he felt a shudder run down his spine at the troubling revelation from her BadePapa.

His Akshara had experienced her first panic attack at the tender age of six, immediately following her mother's passing. He clenched his fists, nails digging into whitening palms, anguish evident in his eyes. Why his Akshu? Why did she have to endure such suffering? He couldn't shake the image of her heartbroken eyes from Parth Bhai's Sangeet, causing him to abruptly stop at the corridor's end, where he turned to fixate his gaze on Manish Goenka.

"What do you know about Akshara, Mr. Goenka?" he murmured in a low tone.

"I... I'm not following you, Beta," the man whispered, worry and guilt etched on his face.