Chapter 59 - Burden

>>> Nineteen years ago :

Seven-year-old Abhimanyu stood on the first floor of the Birla house, hidden behind his favorite pillar where he loved to play hide and seek with his father. From this vantage point, he watched as his father, now in the living room below, looked worn out and tired, his eyes showing signs of sleep deprivation. A stark contrast to the man he used to know—he seemed exhausted and on edge, traits that had been increasingly evident in recent weeks. Abhimanyu couldn't understand the words being exchanged between his parents and the rest of the family, but the volume of their voices was unsettlingly loud, making him worry that his little brother might wake up from his slumber.

Abhimanyu had woken up early that morning to the commotion downstairs and had sought refuge behind the pillar to witness the unfolding drama. His father's loud yells at his weeping mother, who looked devastated and lost, left Abhimanyu feeling a mix of sadness and confusion. The sight of his mother in tears was unfamiliar, as was his father's uncharacteristic anger and was he drunk? Abhimanyu couldn't remember his dad ever being drunk. But then again, was he even the same dad who used to take him to piggyback rides every morning or played with him until he fell asleep in is arms? Little Abhimanyu smiled sadly to himself. Despite winning every activity he participated in at his sports day last month and collecting numerous cups, Abhimanyu couldn't feel the happiness of victory. His father wasn't there to encourage him or cheer him on with his proud smile, making the victories seem bittersweet.

As tears threatened to well up in his eyes, Abhimanyu quickly brushed them away and focused on the conversation unfolding among the adults in his family. He was aware that eavesdropping was not the right thing to do, but he found himself unable to resist. Lately, he had begun to feel like a stranger in his own family, noticing a distinct lack of the familiar warmth that he had always cherished in his home.

"I can't do this anymore Manjiri!! I just can't. JUST F*CKING SIGN IT!" Abhimanyu winced as his father's thunderous voice, so unlike the man who never raised his tone on his mother or him before that day.

"Wh-what are you saying Harsh!? Are you even hearing yourself right now?! DI-VORCE HARSH? YOU WANT A DIVORCE??! ALL FOR THAT DAMNIT HOSPITAL!?" His mother shrieked with thick tears streaming down her face while his Tauji and Taiji tried to break their fight.

"Don't. You. Dare. Manjiri. Not a word about my hospital," Harshwardhan swore, taking a threatening step towards his wife, his bloodshot eyes fixed on her with intensity.

Manjiri's hand landed on his chest in anguish. "Do you even hear yourself!? You're choosing that goddamn hospital over your own family! You weren't there when Neil needed you, you missed Abhi's sports day last month, and you were absent on his report day the month before. He got into a fight at school because other kids teased him about his father's absence! Do you even know that?? Do you realise the impact of your actions on your kids?" Her voice trembled with emotion as she wiped away her tears, unleashing her pent-up frustration, while Abhimanyu sank down against the pillar, a hand over his mouth, silent tears rolling down his cheeks.

"SHUT UP—!" Harsh bellowed, his anger reaching a boiling point, but his wife pressed on.

"Our Abhi begged you to stay the last time you were home! You walked away, leaving his hand, Harsh! Our precious boy's hand! And now you show up today, wasted, with divorce papers in hand, demanding that I sign them!? Have you lost your fucking mind!?"

"MANJIRI, I SAID SHUT UP!!"

"WHAT DO I TELL THE KIDS?! ABHI ADORES YOU!! YOU ARE HIS HERO. HE WILL BREAK IF—!" A sharp sound cut through the air, a contact that made Abhimanyu flinch in fear. His eyes widened as he quickly rose from his hiding place and stood frozen, taking in the scene before him.