Chapter 53 - Fleeting Bliss

Akshara stirred from the depths of her slumber at her phone's vibration, feeling the morning sun's golden rays against her closed eyelids. With a groan, she reached out, her movements slow and heavy with sleep, and fumbled for her phone. Meanwhile, her boyfriend mumbled incoherently in his slumber, nestling closer to her, his warm breath gently caressing her skin with each exhale.

As she slid her finger to answer, "Akshara, you turned down the internship?" The familiar voice of Mrs. Jones echoed through the phone, causing Akshara's eyes to widen slightly as she glanced at the caller ID. Mrs. Jones. Shit. Her heart skipped a beat, and her gaze immediately darted towards Abhi.

Disentangling herself from his embrace careful to not wake him up, she tiptoed across the room to the corridor, gently closing the door. "Good morning, Ma'am." She greeted, her voice still husky with sleep, yet tempered with the faintest hint of apprehension.

"How can you be so unserious about this? It's your future, young woman. You've just squandered your starting point in your career!" Mrs. Jones' outburst jolted Akshara awake, stripping away any remnants of sleep. She reminisced about the conversation she had with her father two nights prior, during which she confided her concerns about her relationship. After he left, she mulled it over repeatedly, eventually opting to delete her acceptance letter and type a polite refusal letter to Sierra, instead.

As Mrs.Jones kept going on about the internship, she attempted to interject, but she persisted. "You have no idea how many people are waiting for this opportunity, and you received it on a silver platter, yet failed to recognize its value! In a cutthroat industry like fashion, Akshara, you shouldn't be distracted by dating and other trivial matters."

That was the final straw, and Akshara's patience snapped. Who was this woman to comment about her dating life?

"Excuse me, Mrs. Jones, but with all due respect, you have no right to comment on my personal life." She retorted sharply. "As for the offer, I believe I earned it through hard work. If I was chosen, it wasn't handed to me on a silver platter, and I'm well aware of Sierra's opportunity."

She strode to the end of the corridor, fighting to maintain composure and restrain her anger toward her dean. "I understand your concern for me as my superior, Mrs. Jones. I acknowledge that you want my success, but our visions are different, Mrs.Jones." Akshara articulated carefully, her tone weighted with seriousness.

"I didn't choose fashion to work like a machine, striving solely for the top spot and money. I chose this field because it's a realm where I can unleash my creativity and imagination. It's my passion. I have no intention of turning my passion into a business."

"Akshara, with this mindset, you risk fading from the industry," Mrs. Jones countered disapprovingly. "You're talented. You're a hard worker, but you must be more career-oriented if you want to thrive."

Frustration etched across Akshara's features as she rubbed her temple. "Must a woman sacrifice her personal life, abandon her family, and above all, forsake her principles to carve a place in the fashion industry, Ma'am?" She queried pointedly. "Aren't I allowed to have my own aspirations and values in my career?"

"Success demands sacrifice, Akshara Goenka." Mrs. Jones retorted firmly. "You can't expect to have everything all the time. Sometimes, you must let go of certain things to get others."

"But there are certain things I simply cannot let go of, Ma'am!" Her voice rose in intensity before she took a deep breath. "I understand that my decision may seem foolish or self-centered to some. However, Mrs. Jones, I refuse to let myself be controlled by money, fame or success. I'll trace my path in my own way. A path that leads me to both success and happiness. I have no regrets about declining the internship because I have chosen to prioritize the strongest support system that will ensure my success. I have someone who will stand by my side through thick and thin, regardless of my achievements or financial status. That's something no offer can provide."