Chapter 58 - The last straw

"You did that deliberately, didn't you?" Neil snarled at Avantika as he watched his Bhai storming in the house, with Akshara on his tail.

He briefly glanced at the rest of the partying group who were too drunk to notice anything and decided to not ruin their mood like Avantika did. The said girl shook her head, eyes glistening.

"No Neil... I didn't know that he didn't know." But her week excuse didn't placate Neil as he held a hand up to her. "Enough Avantika. Others might not know but I notice things. Especially if it's something related to my Bhai. Something's off. You've always tried to get our-—no-his attention on you."

"What're you saying Neil? I didn't..."

"Avantika, stop. On our first night here, when we were watching movies and bro carried Akshara to the bed after she'd fallen asleep, you said that your boyfriend used to do the same for you and you made all of us feel weird. Then, when Akshara was ignoring Bhai in the paintball, you tried to get closer to him even though he gave two hoots about you." Neil listed with a shake of head before meeting her eyes.

"What do you think you're doing Avantika? Bhai allowed you to stay here because he's generous and he won't let anyone on the roads in such state. But other than that, you're a mere acquaintance to him and us. He never took your name even during college days. Who do you think you are to create issues between my Bhai and my to be Bhabhi?"

"I didn't create issues Neil!" Avantika cried. "I didn't even know that my actions were perceived badly. I'm sad because I'm going through a breakup. My boyfriend dumped me on a phone call. You don't know how it feels!"

"I don't give a damn Avantika! I'm sorry but I really don't care. My concern is about my family. My priority is my brother. Akshara is my friend and his girlfriend. She's his life. And I won't let anyone ruin his life for the crime of helping someone in need!" Neil shot back as he took a step towards her, cornering her against the backyard wall. "So, you better stay out of their lives." He murmured lowly before leaving the place, while she stood stunned on spot.

***

Upon entering the room, he let go of her hand and stuffed his in his pocket as he went to stand in front of the window, not even caring when he knocked a vase on his way. His eyes burned with anger, hurt and disbelief.

Akshara shut the door close, replaced the vase in its place, tears pooling in her eyes as she made her way to him. When she placed a hand on his shoulder, he shook it off without looking at her, body tense as his jaw clenched more. But what caused her heart to ache were the glistening tears in his beautiful irises. She bit her lip to not cry.

"Abhi please, just let me explain..." Her voice quivered as she touched his shoulder again but he jerked away once more. "Look at me," she implored, her own frustration mounting as he stubbornly refused to meet her gaze. "Devil... I know you're mad," Akshara persisted, closing the distance between them and cupping his clenched jaw to force his gaze to meet hers. "But don't shut me out. Yell at me, fight with me, tell how you feel."

"I feel like a utter shit right now. I feel unconsidered as if my feelings never mattered. Is that what you want to hear Akshara?" He snapped furiously as he wrenched himself free from her grasp, stepping back and turning away. His words cut through the air like a knife.

A lone tear rolled down her cheek and without even looking at her, he knew she's crying. It pained him to see her in tears but he couldn't convince himself to not be hurt or angry so he stubbornly held his stance, if he looked at her, he'd melt. Not only she didn't even consider his request but she didn't even tell him that, and it's the second time in merely a week that he's learning something important about his Akshara from a stranger. His heart ached. From when his Akshu hid things from him?