CHILD ENDANGERMENT

____________c h a p t e r  t h i r t e e n

____________
c h a p t e r t h i r t e e n

Robin finally returns to Scoops as Sam and Steve get into a heated debate on the best ABBA song.

"It's totally Angel Eyes," Sam rolls her eyes.

"It's Dancing Queen!" Steve shakes his head.

"You can't say Dancing Queen, it's their most popular song! It's like saying the best ice cream flavor is vanilla."

"Uh, yes I can, and it's Dancing Queen. And vanilla is the best, thank you."

"You would think that-" she starts, as Robin comes barreling into the room.

"It is fascinating what 20 bucks will get you at the County Recorder's Office," she holds up a paper, flattening it out to reveal blueprints. "Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints."

"Not bad," Dustin grins.

"Not bad at all," Sam looks them over.

"So, this is us, Scoops," she points to a box. "And this is where we want to get."

"I mean, I don't really see a way in," Steve continues looking it over.

"There's not," she flips to a different sheet, showing the air vents along Starcourt. "If you're talking exclusively about doors."

"Air ducts."

"Exactly. Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room, and these air ducts lead all the way..." she grabs a marker, tracing the path between rooms. "Here."

They eye the vent, as Sam questions how any one of them could fit in the tiny space. "That's tiny."

"I can fit. Trust me."

"You have a screwdriver? And a ladder?" Sam questions Robin and Steve.

"Yes, and yes. Here," Robin hands them to Steve, who quickly takes the cover off.

"Flashlight?"

"Here," Dustin passes it to him, taking the screwdriver from him in exchange.

"You really think you can fit?" Sam turns to Dustin.

"Ye-"

"Yeah, I don't know, man. I don't know if you can fit in here. It's like... super tight," Steve agrees, looking around the space.

"I'll fit. Trust me, no collarbones, remember?"

"Oh yeah," Sam nods in realization.

"Uh, excuse me?" Robin raises her eyebrows.

"Oh, he's, uh... yeah he's got some disease. It's chrydo..."

"No it's cleido something," Sam corrects.