Chapter 13

Chapter 13

It was a long trip going from Guateng to Kzn. I left some money with Mimi for her to get a gift for Rethabile since I left without saying goodbye and she promised that she will let Rethabile visit since she likes me and I would be delighted about that. Well I got home and my mother was more than happy to have me home and have me stay with them but I do not know how I would break the news of the fact that  someone wants to have my hand in marriage. I need to tell her so that she can inform the Gwala’s for me as I am still their child and they have to know. I know my mother in law will not be very happy and she will spew a few words making sure I get the message of how she feels. That is what I am scared of the most, MaThusi is going to be the issue here at hand. 
I have settled a bit though it is late at night and Thulani said he will drive down to Pietermaritzburg and get some rest there then in the morning he will leave for Durban. I hope that he has arrived safely though he has not sent a message of his arrival so I think he is still on the road. 
My mother has cooked and she tells me that I should come and eat. I walk out of my room after practicing ways to break the news.  I want them to digest them as they fall asleep in that moment. A part of me is scared and I do not want to inform them and just wait but then again if Thulani is paying Lobolo to me then my parents won't recieve the letter but the Gwala’s will.  I sigh and go to the living room and I find my father watching the news. I sit on the couch and greet him.
“I didn't expect you to come back home early. I thought you have started a life there in Gauteng”
“I thought I should come back home and start my life here”,I say
“I thought you want to he indeoendent”
“I will be dad”,He nods and smiles. 
I sigh and breathe in and out. My phone pings and I take it and see that it is a message from Thulani informing me that he has arrived safely. I sigh and I look at my father who is still focusing on the TV waiting upon my mother to come back from the kitchen.
“Baba”,He turns to look at me. 
“I have something to tell you”,I say as I fiddle with my fingers.
“What is it Mvelo?”,I breathe in and out.
“I-I met someone”,I see him frown a bit.
“Okay...”
“No I didn't know him when I was with Jabulani but we have been seeing each other for some time and...”,I breathe in and out.
“Does he know that you were once married?”
“Yes he does.”
“How are you feeling? Do you feel rushed?”,He asks with concern laid in his voice.
“No, I haven't felt that way.”
He nods his head slowly and I keep on fiddling with my fingers.
“I-I am getting married”,I say softly.
“Who is getting married?”,My father goes into utter shock that moment.
My mother appears and places the food infront of us.
“What is going on?”
“Nomvelo”,My father says softly. 
“Baba”
He doesn't utter anything after that. I don't know if he is hurt or he is in disbelief.
“Nomvelo who is getting married?”,My mother asks.
“I am mah”,I don't even know how to say this.
I find myself crying in that very moment.
“I am sorry”,I quickly say.
There is silence within the room and all that can be heard is the TV.
“Mvelo what...when did this happen who...?”,my mother tries to talk but she cannot utter anything. 
“I am sorry Mah”,I say again. 
“When did this happen? Were you with this man when Jabulani was sick?”she asks.
“No mama. I didn't know him before Jabulani passed on.”,I say.
She sits next to me. 
“The Gwala’s won't be happy about this”,She mentions.
“It all seems so sudden”,She mentions and pulls me to her chest.
“I know mah”
“Are you ready for this?You just lost your husband”
“I just want to move on”
“Movong on doesn't mean bury your pain and get on with the next man. We are here if you are feeling lonely”
“How long should I stay single before I can commit to someone?”,I ask.
My mother looks at my father and then she turns to me.
“We don't want you getting hurt”
“Mah”
“Let her be”,My father mentions after the long silence and we both look at him.
“Baba Nomvelo is still fragile. She cannot handle another marriage”,she says.
“Nomvelo is old enough for her decisions. If the kitchen gets hot she knows where home is”,I am shocked by my father's response.
“She hasn't figured out her life like Nomvula. She still needs to find her feet”
“And she will stopping her will not help us too but we learn the easy way or the hard way about things”,My father mentions and he grabs his food.
“I will talk to the Gwala’s. I will pay back their lobola”,He mentions.
I am left in awe so as my mother. She is not happy about the decision made here. I expected it to take a wrong turn knowing my parents but I did not expect this at all.