Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I close the little lunch box that has some fruits and also some little yohgurts packed up for Rethabile. Mimi has tried to call me and I am not really ready to talk to her but after like two to three tries she stopped and I am grateful that she did. I cannot believe that she would do such to her own daughter and most especially not even consider the fact that she would've died in my hands and I am the one who was going to take the blame. 
I get a juice box from the fridge preferably about 3 of them and then I put them ontop of the lunch box. Thulani comes in the kitchen from the passage and he places his car keys and phone on the island and he goes to the fridge and he grabs a fruit and some bottled water.
“Are you ready to go?”,He asks and I nod.
“Yes, I have packed some food for her”,I say.
“She will be okay”,He says and I nod my head. 
I told him what Mimi told me and we haven't talked about it since then. I also called my mother crying, I felt better after calling her and now I have a bit of a clear mind if I should say. 
“I pray that she does”,I say.
He places the things that are in his hands down and he holds me close to him. I sigh deeply, I don't know what to do really.
“Come let's go and see her”,He says and we let go of each other and grab our things and then make our way out of the house.
I get inside the car while waiting for Thulani to make his way inside. He takes a bite off his apple and he places the water bottle on the cup holder. He starts the car and we wear our seat belt and then moves the car out of the drive way. 
Silence prevails between us but the radio is keeping us company while we are in this drive to get to the hospital. We arrive there and get out of the car and make our way inside the hospital. When we arrive we are given permission to go and see Rethabile.  We enter the room and she doesn't have the pipes she had yesterday but she seems to be asleep.  I put the things I came with down and I look at her and I feel my heart breaking as I look at her.  I grab a chair and I sit down on it and look at her for a while so as Thulani, he is just quiet and doesn't say anything. He does not even know what he would say in a situation like this. I sigh and a doctor walks in the room and he smiles when he sees us. 
“Good morning”
“Mornining”
“The little princess will be fine. We were able to drain her well and with her responding to whatever we give her to help her recover well she will be fine”,I feel relief wash over me. 
“Thank you doctor”,I say and he nods. 
“May I ask a few questions about our patient?”,He asks and I look at Thulani before I agree. 
“Yes”
“We did some tests done on her and we were able to get the results as soon as possible to gain some light on her condition at the moment and we found some things within those supplements that she took and these things are regarded illegal and could lead to quiet danger”,He says.
My heart sinks to my stomach.
“What does that mean?”,I ask.
“The hospital has informed social workers regarding your daughter”,She mentions.
“She is not our daughter, her mother is friends with my wife”,Thulani says.
I am just numb with what I am hearing.
“Oh I do apologize. Then I think that police should also be involved in this investigation as a result of this child's life was set on danger”
“Listen here, I won't let you come and insult us like this,we knew nothing about those supplements and the child's mother is the one who gave the child and we were not aware of that as we should've been as she is visiting us”,Thulani mentions and the doctor looks at the both of us. 
“The social workers will be here during the day”,He finish up and walks out.
I look at Thulani and he is not pleased.
“Don’t worry okay, she will be fine”,I say to him as I feel my heart aching and tears prickling my eyes. 
Rethabile shifts on the bed and I stand up and get closer to her. She flutters her eyes open and she looks at the ceiling before she turns to look at me.
“Hello, how are you? I bought some food for you and the juice box you like”,I say with a smile on my face. 
“My throat hurts Mvelo”,Her voice is a bit raspy.
“It is okay, it will be better okay?”,she nods her head. 
“I will be back, I am going to make some calls”,Thulani says and I nod before he leaves.
“How are you feeling?”,I ask.
“I want to go home, I don't like it here”,she says.
“You...you will okay? There is someone who is going to come and ask you questions and I want you to be honest for me okay?”,she nods her head. 
I kiss her cheek. 
“Do you want some juice?”
“Yes please”
I take her juicebox and I help open it and now I help her drink and she takes it in her hands and she drinks the juice. I smile while looking at her. I am happy that she is okay, as much as yesterday's events were scary but I am happy that she is doing fine.