Chapter 45

Chapter 45

NTAKA(THULANI) MZIMELA

I haven't been able to function with Nomvelo not waking up. I am not functioning well and I have not had the time to go and see the little ones that are born. My parents are here as well so as Nomvelo's mother and they have been praying like no one's business and I just want my wife more than anything. How will I raise these kids if Mvelo is not here. They need her and I need her the most more than they do. 
I am seated next to her. Paid for this room so that I can access it at anytime with my family since yesterday.  Nomvula and Bonga made it their mission to go and get clothes for the babies as we have never really taken the time to shop prior the birth. 
“She will wake up”,I look up and see Nomvelo's mother by the door.
She walks in further and she smiles while looking at me.
“I have always knew that Nomvelo is a fighter and she fought for what she wants”,She says.
I keep quiet. I don't know what to say. 
“She is a prayerful woman anda God doesn't fail”
“I don't know where to begin”,She walks in further. 
“It has only been a day. There is no need to worry”,I sigh.
How can I not worry. 
I look at my wife who looks so peaceful and beautiful. I smile at her and kiss her hands.    Her fingers move and I watch her as she does that.
Her eye lids are moving a bit but she hasn't opened her eyes and she does open her eyes and I stand up from my chair  and I hold her hand.
“Mvelo sthandwa samama”,Her mother says as she comes closer. 
“Where? Where am I?”
“You are the hospital”,I say.
“The baby, we lost the baby”,She says. 
“Let me give you some space Ndodana”,Her mother says and I nod. 
She walks out of the ward and I kiss Mvelo on her forehead. 
“I am so glad you are okay. I was worried”,she looks at me with pain in her eyes. 
“You...you have wanted a child for so long and I am sorry that I didn't protect our child”
“You did more than that. We have 3 beautiful children”,I say.
Confusion is hung over her. 
“Do you want to see them?”,She nods her head and she cries. 
“We have more babies?”,
“Yes”,I say.
The door opens and a nurse walks in. 
“Good day Mr and Mrs Mzimela. I am so glad you are awake. The doctor will come in the afternoon to check how you are doing but you are a very strong woman”
“Can I see my children?”,she asks softly.
The nurse smiles.
“I will bring them over”,she checks on Nomvelo before she leaves and I stay with Mvelo in the ward. After some time 2 nurses walk in pushing 3 little cots in the room. 
“Here are your little boys”,For the first time today I feel happy. 
I help my wife sit up and then they take the first child and hand it to her and so as the second child and then she hands the other to me. They look so small and tiny.
“These ones look the same”,She says. 
“This one doesn't”,she giggles. 
“They are beautiful”,she sniffs.
They are, they are really beautiful. I sit on the bed and we rock the babies in our arms. 
“How are you feeling?”,I ask.
“I am still in pain”,She says.
“There is something I need to tell you”,I say.
She looks at me.
“What is wrong?”
“Yesterday they had to remove your womb, it was too damaged to survive. I am sorry”,She smiles.
“That is okay. We have these wonderful blessings. They soothe my heart and I am alive too”,I smile.
“I love you Nomvelo Mzimela”,She giggles.
“I love you more Thulani, for making me a mother.”,She says.

BONGANI ZONDI

I have met Nomvelo once. I never really interacted with her during that time so I really don't know the kind of person she is but also I didn't know that she is a twin. You can tell the difference between them and it would've been very highly of her to have twin children in anyway as she has those genes. 
We are here in baby stores with her sister. The other wives have said to have work and we understood since the both of us do not work.  Her sister is much of a talker though as she has been conversing with every outfit she could find and shopping like this makes me think of the life that is growing within me. 
“Hey what's wrong?”,She asks.
“I...nothing”,I say.
“I may not be the best person to approach when talking but I know a few things.
“Its just that doing this shopping takes me back to when I had my first child”,I smile thinking of the day I held Sqalo in my arms. I knew then that I had a purpose in life. 
“Thats how I felt when I held my daughter 7 years ago. You know she was unplanned and her father and I didn't know if we were together or not but we knew that we loved her the moment she was there. We got married right after her”,I say. 
“That is beautiful”,She fills the trolley.
“How old is your son?”
“15 years old”
“Wow he has grown. You should have another one soon with the father”,I giggle at the thought that I am already pregnant with his child.”
“I will”,She nods.
“Do you think this is enough for 3 babies?”
“They have to get to Durban as well”,I say.
“Yes you are right. Let me stop here”,She smiles.
“We should have some lunch. I am hungry”,She says.
“Okay”,We go and pay for everything that she bought and she seems rather happy about her sister having children. Quiet excited if you ask me. 
We finish up and down we go to eat.  My phone rings and I take it out to answer it. Hlubi went to work with Sqalo and that is why I have a free afternoon without worrying about him. 
“Hello”
“Baby are okay?”,He asks.
“I am okay, I am with Nomvelo's sister at the mall we are buying clothes for the babies”,I say.
“Okay then. I will send some money for you to have in handy”
“You don't need to”
“I know”,He chuckles.
“Is Sqalo bothering you?”
“He is working. I have him a task”
“I hope he is behaving”
“He is”
”Okay that's good then”,I say.
“I have to go baby call me if you need anything”
“Okay thank you so much”
“I love you”,I blush after that.
“I know Mzimela”,He chuckles.
We hang up and Nomvula smiles rasing her eye brows on me.
“Young love”,I laugh.
She is only a year older than me. 
“I wouldn't say that”,I say.
“Well it is”,My phone pings and I look at it. It's a transaction of R3000.  A message follows from Hlubi.
“I hope that is enough. Do call me if it is not”,he says.
That is more than enough.
“Thank you”,I reply to his message.