𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐝

𝐊𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐦, 𝟏𝟕𝟗𝟕

𝐊𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐦, 𝟏𝟕𝟗𝟕

"We shouldn't have left you in the rain," Kaz muttered as he and Wylan walked out of the mansion, rain pouring down on their hats.

The eldest brother quickly pulled off his black trench coat and draped it over her shoulders before Wylan did the same.

"I'm fine," Juniper grumbled, her teeth chattering as her wet hair stuck to her face.

"No, you're not, Juniper," Kaz leaned on his cane, supporting his weight as he led them down one of the empty cobblestone streets in Ketterdam.

Wylan had his arm wrapped around her waist as he led her soaking wet body to the Slat.

— — —

Kaz sat completely still, not moving an inch as he stared at his sister. Wylan sat beside her on the bed, gently dabbing her sweat covered forehead with a damp cloth.

It was his fault, Kaz thought to himself. It was his fault she was sick. It was the worst cold they had seen since their father died.

He cursed at himself for telling her to stay outside. He had told her it was to keep watch but in truth, he hadn't liked the way men's eyes never left her body as she walked past.

It took everything in him not to kill every last man in that building for looking at his sister in such ways. So, instead of killing them and sabotaging the heist, he sent her outside.

Her cheeks were red and blotchy, presumably from wind burn. And her body shook with every round of coughs.

"Stop blaming yourself," She told him from her bed, eyes watching as he fiddled with the golden crow on the end of his cane.

She hadn't learned how to heal herself yet. That was a skill only master Grisha knew. So she was stuck like this for however long it would take.

"I'm not," He scoffed, his eyes not fully meeting hers.

Before she could argue, Wylan spoke up, "Would you like some tea? Dad used to add honey, ginger and garlic in it when we used to get sick, remember?"

Juniper smiled weakly, "That'd be lovely. Thank you, Wylan."

"Are you warm enough?" Kaz asked after Wylan walked out. He stretched out his bad leg, fingers discreetly rubbing the skin to ease away the ache.

She nodded, humming slightly as she cuddled underneath the blankets they had given her from both their beds.

"You should go to sleep," He spoke again after a beat of silence.

She peaked out of the open door, Kaz doing the same and silently watched as Wylan made the tea.

"I'll wait until it's done," Juniper whispered, her throat dry as she leaned back down onto the flat pillow.

He sighed, standing up and walking next to her. His hand came down to hold her cheek, silently telling her he was sorry, "Sleep, little sister. We'll bring you the tea when it's done."