𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐬𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬

Leaving Ketterdam was like a breath of fresh air, literally and figuratively

Leaving Ketterdam was like a breath of fresh air, literally and figuratively. It was a well known fact that the air in Ketterdam was heavily polluted.

Leaving the island filled with muggers, criminals and trauma behind her and only bringing the good things felt like a rebirth. Juniper had always felt that the swim back from the middle of the ocean had been her rebirth, but perhaps it was this.

Ravka used to be her home. She grew up there, learned to talk, walk, hell, she even learned how to waltz. It had been a rough version of a waltz, Kaz leading her as Wylan played an old piano.

"Ow, Juniper," Kaz grunted as she stepped on his toes for the fifth time that morning.

The nine-year-old grinned innocently as she looked up at her brother, "Sorry, Kazzle Dazzle."

Kaz rolled his eyes, pushing her gently as their father laughed across the room. "Don't fight," He spoke, his voice playful as Juniper and Kaz shoved each other lightly.

"I wouldn't push her if she would just stop stepping on my feet, dad. I have three broken toes already," The eleven-year-old complained while Wylan smirked from the piano, Juniper sneaking up to him before they bumped fists.

Kaz glared at the twins. "This was all a scheme, wasn't it? To break all my toes so I can't go out and meet my friends."

"You have friends?" Wylan asked before Juniper added, "Didn't know that was possible."

He rolled his blue eyes before joining them on the piano bench, ruffling their hair roughly causing their heads to shake rapidly as they groaned. "Kaz," They muttered, drawing out the syllables as he sat in between them.

"Well, if you didn't break my toes, I wouldn't have to sit with you, would I?"

Their father stared at the three children with a soft grin on his face as he turned the page of his paper.

Kaz's shoulder bumped against hers as he looked down at her. "What?" She asked after a moment of him staring.

"You look dumb," He whispered.

Juniper scowled, "At least I'm not wearing a hat that could be classified as a glorified chip bowl."

Wylan smirked on the other side of them. "She's not wrong. You could fit a whole meal in the brim."

Kaz rolled his eyes before stomping on both their toes. "I'm going to bed."

The twins looked at him, giggles escaping their lips as he stomped away. "We share a room, Kazzle Dazzle. You can't get away from us."

𝐑𝐚𝐯𝐤𝐚, 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟑

Juniper breathed out as she stared at the broken home before her. Nikolai stood beside her, his hand on her clothing-layered shoulder as they stared at the moss-covered wood.