Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

December 16th 1991.

Y/n is 6 years old.

"Try to remember a kind of September when grass was green..." My mother and I sang. Her graceful fingers moved across the piano, hitting all the right notes.

Tony, my big brother, was sleeping on the couch next to us. He had come home from his studies for Christmas. Mom and Dad were leaving for a trip today and then it would just be me and him. We had already opened presents the night before though. I was a little disappointed Tony hadn't been there, but was happy we got to spend some time together.

"Wake up dear, say goodbye to your father," My mother interrupted but still continued to play the notes. Tony rolled off the couch.

"Who's the homeless person on the couch?" Dad said, buttoning up his suit. I ran over to him and hugged him tightly. Dad picked me up and looked over at Tony.

"This is why I love coming home for Christmas, right before you leave town." Tony said as I leaned over and fixed his Santa hat.

"Be nice dear, he's been studying abroad..." Mom said, still playing the chords from our song.

"Really, which broad?" Dad said, setting me down and putting his hands in his pockets. "What's her name?" Dad took off Tony's hat and put it on me.

"Candace," Tony said, looking down at me.

"OoooOooo, is Candace your new girlfriend," I teased oblivious to the situation. Tony smiled down at me.

"Do me a favor, try not to burn the house down before Monday."

"Okay so it's Monday? That is good to know. I will plan my toga party accordingly." Tony said, picking me up and walking to the other side of the piano.

"What's a toga?" I asked, holding onto my new hat.

"Don't worry about it stinker." Tony said, sitting me on the piano lid. Immediately, I jumped off, knowing I wasn't allowed on the piano. "Where are you going?" Tony asked.

"Your father is flying us to the Bahamas for a little get away."

"We might have to make a quick stop," Dad said, walking over to Mom.

"At the pentagon? Right? Don't worry, you're gonna love the holiday menu at the commissary." Tony said in a teasing tone. I ran over to the couch and jumped onto it.

"You know, they say sarcasm is a metric for potential. If that's true, you'll be a great man someday. I'll get the bags." Dad walked out and I followed. I walked into the hallway and grabbed a rolling suitcase.

With lots of strain, I managed to tip it over. Dad laughed and tipped it upright before kneeling before me.

"Be good y/n... take care of Anthony for me, okay?" Dad said, holding my face in his hands.

"Okay Dad. I'll make sure he's good." I responded, hugging him.

"I know you will, you're a good kid y/n." Dad said, standing up and grabbing the bag. We both walked back into the music room and saw Mom and Tony. I hugged Mom and told her goodbye. Tony picked me up and we watched mom and dad drive down the driveway.

"Want pizza? We can watch a movie too!" Tony said, walking over to the movie room.

Tony's POV—

I took a sleeping y/n to her room. It was only about 7:00 and she had passed out during the last 10 minutes of Honey I Shrunk The Kids, after eating almost half a pizza. I was actually really excited to spend Christmas with her. I felt a connection to y/n that no one else could bring.

I set her in her bed and turned her bedside lamp off. She rolled over and settled into her sheets. I smiled and walked out, halfway closing the door behind me.

As I went to open my door, I heard the phone ring. I skipped every other step and ran down to the phone, grumbling about having to answer the phone.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Tony Stark?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is the New York police department..."

"Listen, I don't know what I did and I'm sure I didn't mean to-"

"Mr. Stark, It's about your parents."

~~~