Chapter 14

Steve and I had unpacked all of our bags and were back in the helm of the ship. I was sitting up to the large desk researching thermonuclear astrophysics. I had Selvig's notes sprawled around me, a pink highlighter was in my hand and a yellow one gripped between my teeth.

I was about halfway through my notebook with my own notes and was only a few pages through Selvig's notes. I also had the extraction theory papers I hadn't touched yet. One of the agents set a cup of hot chocolate with wiped cream and sprinkles next to my papers. I thanked him and eagerly sipped the warm drink, thankful to have 

"We've got a hit! 67% match!" Agent Sitwell called out, "Wait- cross-match, 79%!" Sitwell corrected himself. I put the lid on my highlighter and gathered my papers.

"Location?" Phil asked, walking over to see for himself.

"Stuttgart, Germany. Twenty eight, Königstraße. He's not exactly hiding."

"Y/n, Captain?" Nick said, looking at both of us. "You're up."

I looked over to Steve and nodded to Nick. A rush of adrenaline went through my body. I walked down the stairs and met Steve. We both walked out to find our suits.

When I found mine I gasped. It was even better in real life. I began the process of putting everything on and becoming familiar with it. I ran my fingers over each of my weapons and felt the minimalist padding in the knuckles of my gloves.

I shoved the last gun into place and walked out of my armory to see Steve in his suit. I would have looked so dumb if my mask wasn't on. It was like I couldn't get my jaw shut. Steve was in an extremely flattering suit and I was thankful that he couldn't see my reaction.

However, I could see Steve's reaction. He held his helmet in his hands so I could see his entire face. Steve looked up and his eyes widened. He took a step back and blinked a few times.

"Do you like it?" I asked, pulling my mask down. I grinned sheepishly and looked into Steve's eyes, waiting for an answer.

"Yes. It- well, it looks great." Steve said, still frozen. I laughed and stepped closer to him.

"Phil: 0, Y/n: 1." I whispered, walking away. 

I looked back to see Steve with one eyebrow raised and a smile on his face. I quickly went and boarded the quinjet before he could see my blush.

~~~

When we got closer to Loki's location, Steve pulled me aside.

"Be careful Y/n. Please be careful." Steve said, pulling me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his chest.

"The same goes for you." I said, squeezing him tighter.

Steve tilted my head upwards and kissed me softly before opening the hatch door. He jumped out and landed gracefully. I pulled my mask up and followed, landing behind Loki quietly.

Loki was on the ground already. I looked around and saw hundreds of people kneeling. Steve stood and made eye contact with me. He started to stall for time.

"You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing..." Steve said, walking through the crowd.

I silently began to usher people away from the crowd. I motioned for them to be silent and run.

"The soldier," Loki said, oblivious to me. "The man out of time..." He said, standing up. A chill ran down my spine when I heard him talking.