Chapter 15

We were back at the helicarrier. The new dude's name is Thor. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite people on the mission. Well... everyone on the mission is pretty much my favorite.

Right now, we were watching Nick interrogate Loki. Loki was on high security and had been put into a holding cell. There was almost no way he was getting out. I still felt uneasy though. It felt like he was looking at us personally each time he looked into a security camera.

At the end of the interrogation, Loki walked towards the camera and just stared. I tensed up and took a shaker breath in before I felt Steve grab my knee under the table and squeeze it comfortingly. The screen in front of us disappeared and I looked up at Steve before smiling softly.

"He really grows on you." Bruce flatly said. I scoffed and looked up to Bruce with a smile, hiding my discomfort.

"Loki's going to drag this out. So Thor, what's his play?" Steve said, looking up to Thor.

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard nor any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth, in return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

I looked over and saw Steve looking blankly at the table. "An army?" Steve looked up at me and then to Thor with a 'really?' look on his face. "From outer space?" He said, looking around to see if we were joking.

"So he's building another portal?" Bruce asked Thor. Steve looked at me and raised his eyebrows. I quietly giggled and grabbed his hand which was still on my knee.

"Now there's aliens..." Steve whispered to me white the rest of the team kept talking. I looked up at him and saw the stress in his eyes.

"We'll figure it out.." I whispered back, squeezing his hand. "I mean... you are the star spangled man with a plan." I teasingly whispered. Steve quickly looked back to me and glared.

"Who told you?" He demanded.

"I do my research..." I quietly laughed, turning back to the conversation about Loki.

"I mean, what do they need Iridium for?" Bruce asked everyone.

Tony walked in, talking to Phil. 

"It's a stabilizing agent." He said, answering Bruce. "It means the portal won't collapse on itself like it did at Shield." Tony said, sticking his hands in his pockets.

"No hard feelings point break, you've got a mean swing." He gently hit Thor's arm. I could still feel Steve's eyes on me.

"Did you see the costume too?" Steve whispered in a dread filled voice. I felt his eyes on mine but kept my focus on Tony.

"Of course. It was adorable!" I smiled, still not making eye contact. I heard Steve groan in humiliation next to me.

"That man is playing Gallaga!" Tony yelled, pointing to an agent. Steve looked over and furrowed his eyebrows.

"It's an older video game." I answered his unasked question in a hushed tone.

I watched Tony closely as he started to ramble. I watched his hand slip under one of the screens and quickly place something there. I assumed it was to hack into the system. I quickly pulled out my phone to see what he was up to.

"When did you become a genius in thermonuclear astrophysics?" Hill asked, her arms crossed.

"Last night." Tony bluntly said.

"You too?" I asked him, looking up from my screen. Everyone turned to me in surprise. I saw Steve smirk out of the corner of my eye.

Tony smiled at me before he started to chew everyone out for not doing their 'homework'.