Chapter 17

Y/N's POV:

Tony shut the door behind him as he left.

He had told me to call him if I needed anything. Steve was quick to reassure him, he would make sure I was fine.

I looked over at Steve and saw him watching me carefully. I carefully moved my hand and grabbed his.

"You scared me..." Steve whispered, leaning down and kissing my knuckles.

"Sorry." I breathlessly whispered back as butterflies danced throughout my stomach.

"Don't be. I'm just sorry I wasn't there for you." Steve said, zoning out on the window. He did that whenever he was deep in thought. I went to sit myself up but felt the blood rush from my head and my stitches begin to pull.

A sharp inhale of pain escaped my lips and Steve looked up quickly. I leaned back in pain and closed my eyes.

"Where's Loki?"

"He escaped," Steve said, watching me carefully. I opened my eyes and looked up to the ceiling.

"I know people got hurt. Who?" I asked, still looking at the ceiling.

"A few agents, Natasha was injured but not seriously, Maria Hill needed a couple stitches..." He trailed off.

"Who died?" I asked, looking at him now. I could see it in his eyes.

"Well... Um." Steve struggled, looking over to me. His eyes were full of regret. "Phil."

Everything started to spin again. I closed my eyes and tried to focus.

Phil couldn't be hurt. He was one of the best, how could he have died?

I pulled the blanket off of me and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. Steve quickly put his hand on my back to sport me.

"What are you doing?"

I leaned over and grabbed my boots and extra clothing from my bedside. Someone had placed another uniform for me.

"I'm getting ready."

I got up and put the black shirt over the black tank top I was wearing. I put my cargo pants over the Nike spandex I was wearing and buckled my vest on. I went to brush my hair out but couldn't because of my stitches.

Steve walked over and took the brush from me. He started to run it through my hair before braiding. He was careful not to pull my hair and made sure there weren't going to be any flyaways. After tying the braid off, he hooked his finger underneath my chin and directed my gaze to his eyes.

"Thank you." I gratefully whispered. Steve nodded and started to lean in.

"Can I?"

I nodded and leaned in. Our lips met and a warm rush shot through my body. Steve held my hand as he kissed me softly. I pulled away and looked in his eyes. He looked into mine questingly.

"What am I to you?" I asked suddenly. "I don't think I can handle just being a fling." I honestly said.

"I don't think I could handle that either..." Steve said, cradling my face in his hand.

"I don't want to be here as a rebound either." I said, hinting at his past love. Steve looked at me and smiled.

"Can I show you something?"

"Yes." I said, watching him reach into his back pocket. He pulled out his compass and looked up at me with a soft smile. I furrowed my eyebrows when he handed it to me.