Chapter 11

Year: 2012

(Steve's POV)

I was running through the woods, bombs dropping all around me. I looked back to see the rest of the men from my mission running with me. The person next to me aimed his rifle and squeezed the trigger. Instead of hearing the shot, my scenery changed.

A hydra guard aimed his gun at me. I quickly pulled my shield up and felt the impact ring through the mettle. I dropped my shield to my side and ran to the guard, kicking him before he could fire again. As he hit the floor I heard a voice. 

My voice.

"There's not enough time!" I was sitting at the helm of the jet that had started all of this. I knew what was going to happen. "I gotta put her in the water..."

I looked over and saw my compass but it looked different than what I remembered from that moment. Y/n's picture was in it. She was smiling over at me. I heard her voice come through the speakers.

"Steve?" Y/n's voice was filled with worry. I looked around and saw her standing behind me. She looked out the window and then back to me. She walked over and placed her hand on my shoulder. Dread filled my body. It was only supposed to be me here. I looked back to the front just in time to see the ice crash through the window.

Shooting up from my sleep I took a deep breath. It was just a dream.

I had the exact same dream every night for a few weeks now. Each time I couldn't fall back asleep without making sure Y/n was okay. She knew what was happening each time and made sure I was okay.

I looked over and saw her sleeping next to me. We had fallen asleep while watching a show and the TV screen lit up the room with an 'are you still watching' message. I leaned over and grabbed the remote, turning it off before pulling Y/n's quilt off of me. I swung my legs off the side of her bed and looked over my shoulder at her. Watching her take a breath in before releasing it. I sighed and looked out her window. An alarm clock on her bookshelves said it was 1 am.

Y/n adjusted herself, reaching out to touch where I would be sleeping. When she didn't feel me she started to wake up. I leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"Did you have the dream again?" She groggily asked, opening her eyes to watch my reaction.

"Yeah, but I'm okay." I said, pushing hair away from her face. Y/n sighed and sat up slowly.

"Come on, let's go." She said, grabbing a hoodie from the floor next to her bed. She slipped it on over her shirt and began to walk away.

"Where are we going?" I asked, standing up and following her to the kitchen. Y/n pulled a couple mugs from her cabinets and began to fill them with hot water.

"To make hot chocolate. With LOTS of whipped cream." She said, smiling sleeply over at me. I watched her for a moment and smiled back before opening the fridge to get the whipped cream.

Y/n took the can from me after scooping hot chocolate powder into both of the mugs. She sprayed whipped cream into each and looked over at me with a smile.

"There. Perfect."

I reached out and took the can of cream from the counter. I sprayed a tiny bit onto my finger and looked up at Y/n. She quickly turned around when she heard me begin to spray. Before she could stop me, I wiped it all onto her nose.

Y/n flinched back but not quickly enough. I laughed and put the can back into the fridge. When I turned around, Y/n still had a tiny bit on her nose. She glared at me and handed me my mug. I whipped the excess off of her nose for her and gratefully took the mug. I followed Y/n to the couch and sat down next to her. We both silently sat and sipped our chocolate, trying not to get whipped cream mustaches.