Chapter 18

I stood up and took a deep breath, determined to help with this mission. Steve looked me up and down before following me out of the room.

I needed Natasha.

We quickly made our way down to Clint's medical room. Last I had seen, he was out cold. I pressed the code in and made eye contact with a set of brown eyes as the doors swung open.

"Clint!" I exclaimed, happy to see him awake and moving. I ran into the room and hugged him tightly. Nat walked into the room as well, smiling at both of us.

"Time to go." Steve said to Nat.

"Go where?" Nat asked.

"We'll tell you on the way," I said, pulling away and walking into the bathroom to find pain medication. I found a higher dose prescription and bandages and took both.

"Can one of you fly one of those jets?" Steve asked all of us.

" I can," Clint offered without hesitation.

"You got a suit?" Steve asked him.

"Yeah," Clint whispered back.

"Then suit up." Steve said, walking out of the room. I followed him with both items still in hand.

We made it to our lockers and I quickly opened mine, loading up on more ammo. Steve looked at me questioningly.

"What do you think you're doing?" Steve asked, pushing my locker shut.

"Suiting up." I said, popping the meds into my mouth.

"You're injured." Steve blankly said.

"So?"

"So, you're not going to be fighting. You need to stay here." Steve tried to demand. I looked up at him and shifted my weight to one foot.

"You, are not my boss. The world is in danger. I WILL be there." I fought back, nudging him out of the way on my locker. Steve pressed his lips together and grabbed his shield. He attached it to his arm angrily, making eye contact with me the whole time. I looked away and sat down to start to change my bandaging.

Steve saw this and softened up, putting his shield down. He walked over and took the roll of new bandages from me. I peeled off the old layer and threw it away. Steve knelt down in front of me and began the process of wrapping my torso carefully. I looked softly into his eyes and let him take care of me.

"I need you to promise me you'll be careful." Steve said as he finished up.

"Of course." I softly said, taking his hand in my own.

"I'm being serious. I can't lose you." Steve whispered, looking up into my eyes and draping his forearms on my knees.

Leaning down, I kissed him carefully. He pulled away after a moment and kissed my forehead. I caught his face in my hands and pressed another kiss to his lips. I felt lean into the kiss before I pulled away. A soft blush ran over both of our faces.

Steve stood up straight and pulled me up with him. We began to walk with the team over to the jet. The pain medication had worked through my system and made walking easier. Hopefully they lasted throughout the fight.

As we all entered the jet, a young man stood up and tried to keep us from walking in.

"You guys aren't authorized to be in here." He said, holding his hand out and pushing me back. I kept my ground and looked at him sharply.

Steve stepped in quickly.

"Son, just don't."

The young man quickly left the ship and didn't look back.