Chapter 4

As soon as we landed at Shield headquarters, Steve and I made our way to Nick's office. Both of us were still in our uniforms so we contrasted from the rest of the agents. Eyes turned our way the entire way up to the office.

Steve opened the door to Nick's office for me and quickly followed behind me. Nick was sitting at his desk, enjoying the view of Washington DC.

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve clearly spoke, his body tensed up.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours." Nick deadpanned, not looking over at either of us.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share." Steve leaned onto the desk and looked straight at Nick.

Dang. Steve was kinda hot when he was mad.

"I'm not obliged to do anything." Nick retorted.

"Those hostages could've died, Nick!" I said in a softer tone than Steve had used. Nick turned at my voice and looked at the pair of us.

"I sent the greatest soldiers in history to make sure that didn't happen."

I rolled my eyes and flopped on the couch Nick had in his office. I stared up at the ceiling while listening to the rest of the conversation.

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns." Steve quickly shot back. I could tell he was genuinely upset from his tone.

"The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Nick stood up and was at eye level with Steve. "Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything."

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own." Steve's voice dropped in volume.

"It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all."

Steve scoffed before stating, "Except you."

"You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that."

I laughed out loud and looked over at the pair. They both turned and looked at me. Nick would have usually snapped at people who laughed at him, but instead I could see him softening towards me. Steve had an amused look on his face as he watched me.

"Share something with us then." I smirked, knowing Nick couldn't tell me no. Nick started walking away. I got up quickly and followed him.

"It's like an adventure!" I whispered to Steve. Steve only smirked and placed his hand on my back to keep me walking.

Nick led us to the elevator and it immediately opened.

"Insight bay." Nick ordered.

"Captain Rogers does not have clearance for Project Insight." The elevator said in a monotone voice.

"Director override, Fury, Nicholas J."

"Confirmed."

Steve looked at me for a moment before speaking again.

"What about Y/n?"

"I have access to everything. I have since I started working here. My dad made sure if Tony or I were to work here, we would always be able to see everything." I said, grabbing the hand rail. I felt the elevator start to move and quickly shut my eyes. I opened them as I got used to the feeling. Steve looked over to me and grabbed my hand. I smiled gratefully and gripped his hand.