Chapter 12

Steve pulled into the parking garage and sighed, looking over at me with a stressed expression. I rested my head on the headrest and smiled softly at him.

"I don't know what to do..." Steve said, looking out the windshield blankly.

"About what Nick said?" I asked, turning my body to him.

"Yeah. I just don't want to mess anything up." Steve said, taking my hand in his. I looked down and saw his bruises had already faded to a yellow color.

"What do you mean?" I asked, as Steve looked over at me.

"Y/n, last time I dealt with this, I lost everything. The tesseract seems to have a mind of its own. It controls what happens to it. It has the power to change the world if it wants to." Steve ranted, looking at me seriously.

"Steve-" I started.

"Y/n, I can't do that again. I can't lose you." Steve's eyes became moist when he said the last part. I looked down and squeezed his hand. We sat in silence for a moment.

"Some dweeb, Loki, broke into Shield and took the tesseract. If we don't do anything, he'll probably use it to ruin the world anyways. We have to fight. I can't lose you either, and if we don't do anything, I will." I said, biting the inside of my cheek while thinking. "You don't have to come with me. You've done enough for our world, Nick will understand. I'm going to go though. I need to make sure I don't lose you." I said, raising my eyebrows while waiting for his answer.

Steve looked out the window before looking back at me. "I'm going with you." He said firmly. I looked from the window to him and smiled. Steve brought my knuckles to his lips and kissed each one gently. I blushed and looked from my knuckles to his eyes. I saw him watching me with a smile on his lips. We both leaned in closer and kissed over the center console. I closed my eyes and held Steve's face closer to mine. We both smiled into the kiss before pulling back to look at each other.

I pecked his lips again before getting out and opening the bed of the truck. I slid my bag to the edge and put the shoulder strap on. Steve shut the driver's door and came to get his bag. We left the punching bag in the bed for tomorrow.

My legs were shaky from the workout so I slowly followed Steve up to our apartments. On each of our doors were two envelopes. Each had our names on them. I peeled the tape off of mine and opened it.

Inside were a set of coordinates and the time 1400. I looked at my watch and saw we had 2 hours. I looked over to see that Steve had the exact same thing. I looked at him with raised eyebrows and put the paper back in the envelope. I took my phone out and looked up the coordinates, they were about 30 minutes away from our apartments.

"We have an hour and a half." I said, unlocking my door. Steve nodded and hurried into his apartment to pack.

I shut the door behind me and shoved my gym bag into its compartment. I sighed and began my pre-mission ritual. I ran to my bathroom and started my music, playing Everybody Talks by NeonTrees. I washed, shaved, or exfoliated everything possible since I didn't know when I'd get to do it again.

I flipped my hair over and dried it off before putting on a black fitted crop top and a pair of black cargo pants. I dried my hair and straightened it. After putting on my makeup for the day, I spent the rest of my time packing.

 I walked around my house and unplugged everything before making my bed. I heard my front door creak open and Steve called out for me.

"I'm in my room!" I called back. I heard him making his way to my room and zipped my suitcase up. Steve leaned on my door frame and crossed his arms. I looked over at him while rolling my suitcase towards the door. Steve followed me to the front door. I checked all my rooms and made sure everything was off.