3: Lady of the White Rose

VESPER

"Hey,"

Napatigil ako sa tangkang pagpasok sa loob ng karwahe at binalingan ang taong tumawag sa akin. It's kuya Iklis with his training uniform, sweat pouring all over his face and with his sword hang in his shoulder. My face contorted in displeasure.

"You reek of sweat, kuya," pang-aasar ko dito. Tinakpan ko pa ang ilong ko upang ipakita sa kanya na nangangamoy pawis na talaga siya. "And I have my name, don't hey me."

"Ang arte nito," inamoy-amoy pa nito ang sarili niya kung totoo nga bang nangangamoy pawis siya. "Anyway, don't be too nervous. Whatever the result, wether you'll walk the path of a magician or not, remember that we're always here behind your back, me, Kaido and father. We're all rooting for you, princess." itinaas nito ang kamao niya for a fist bump.

Natigilan ako sa sinabi nito. How can he said all those cheesy things in a serious tone and sincere eyes? If it was me, I'll surely feel cringe. But... it's not that bad.

Nakipag fist bump ako dito habang pasimpleng tuma-taas ang isang sulok ng labi ko. "Thanks, bro."

Nag-usap pa kami ng ilang sandali, may iilang pahabilin din ito sa akin na binilin din naman ni kuya Kaido kagabi nang bumisita ito para daw mag-tsaa. He's not here today, I think father sent him to inspect some villages due to some monster attack recently.

Umakyat na ako sa loob ng karwahe kung saan naghihintay ang aking ama. Abala ito sa binabasa niyang dyaryo at hindi ako tinapunan ng tingin hanggang sa halos kalahating oras na ang lumilipas. Malayo-layo rin kasi ang distansya ng Magic Tower sa teriyoryo namin. If taken by carriage from here all the way to the Magic Tower, 10 days would suffice, if you'll take no rest. But with the advancement of magic, where transportation portal was invented, traveling long distances become quite easy.

One of the transportation portal was situated in the heart of Glam City, Frontera Dukedom's capital city. Pagdating namin ay maraming mga karwaheng nakapila sa labas ng gusali, ngunit ng makita ng mga nagta-trabaho ang family emblem na nakaukit sa karwaheng sinasakyan namin ay pinauna naman kami sa pila.

Nagkukumahog pa nga sila na asikasuhin kami.

It only took an hour from our mansion to the capital and only a few minutes from the portal to arrived at our destination, which is the Magic Tower.

Nang papasok na kami sa teriyoryo ng Magic Tower ay ibinaba ni papa ang kanyang binabasang dyaryo at itinuon ang atensyon sa akin. Wala sa sariling napaayos ako ng upo.

"V..." he trail off.

"Yes, father?" I answered promptly. He stared at me for a few moments until the carriage made a halt and stop right in front of the gate towards the Magic Tower. Father didn't utter a single word even after the coachman outside our carriage announced that we already arrived.

"I give you the permission to do whatever it is that your heart desire. Either it be magic, swordmanship, academics, whatever it is, you have my support. Anything, my daughter." makahulugang sambit dito. Ginulo niya ang buhok ko bago tuluyang naunang bumaba ng karwahe, naiwan akong tulala sa loob.

I blink. Anything... my heart desire?

It was rather broad. I don't understand what father said about doing anything that my heart desire. I have many things that I wanted to do but nothing stick out in any of them. I still have nothing I wanted that I'd rather choose death over not achieving it.

I immediately followed father inside the tower. Several mages welcome us when we enter. They all greeted us in unison while bowing, showing respect to the Duke Family.

"Welcome, Duke Frontera. I'd never even dream about this day, when the world most renowned Swordmaster would step foot inside the Magic Tower, a magician's sacred land. It makes me wonder what made you come here? Hohoho!" Hinimas-himas nito ang puting basbas sa baba niya at tumawa ng mahina.

He looks quite old but despite that, I can still feel how strong he actually is. I just know, and it only need one look for me to tell that he's strong. Extremely strong.

And he's the only one that didn't bow at us.

His eyes turn towards me. "Ho? Who's this pretty lady beside you? Is she the one rumored to be the ' Lady of the White Rose'?

"Yes, she's my daughter. She's the one I referred with my letter. When and where is the test going to take place?"

"I see," Muli nitong hinimas-himas ang basbas niya at ilang sandali akong pinakatitigan.

Hindi ako naging komportable sa mga titig niya, na para bang sinusuri ang buong pagkatao ko. Napaiwas ako ng tingin.

"Then, let us get to the top floor." Binalingan nito ang isang Mage sa kaliwa niya. "Call Grand Mage Hina and ask her if the room is already ready." Utos nito na agaran namang sinunod ng lalakeng Mage.

He bow and left.

"Duke Vallerian Frontera and Lady..." He trail off and stared at me as if asking me for my name. Father was the one who introduce me.

"This is my daughter, Vesper Frontera." Tinignan ako nito at hinawakan sa likuran at pinakilala ang matandang kausap. "This is one of the Grand Mage in the Tower of Magic, Grand Mage Suarez Zelion along with Grand Mage Hina Sakura Von Kingsley. V, pay your respect with the Grand Mage."

I nodded and face the Grand Mage to greet him. I pull the hem of my dress, put my left hand in my chest and bow elegantly. As a sign of courtesy, I greeted him just like how a noble lady should.

"Greetings, Your Grace, Grand Mage Suarez. Please, excuse my late introduction, I'm Lady Vesper Frontera from the Frontera Dukedom. Please to make your acquaintance."

"Hm, what a fine Lady just like your mother." He commented.

Napaangat ako ng tingin dahil sa pagbanggit nito sa ina ko. Tatanungin ko na sana kung ano ang ibig sabihin nito nang may maramdamang masamang awra sa gilid ko.

It was father, glaring at the Grand Mage who suddenly turn his back and laugh. The other Mages that's with us in the room tremble in fear with my father's sudden change of mood.

If I were in their position, I'll also react the same. Ha ha ha. Father is really scary sometimes.

However, I can understand father. With the sudden mention of my late mother, it seems like the Grand Mage is picking a fight with us knowing full too well that father will react violently every time mother is involve.

I don't know what's the deal and why's father losing his cool every time it involves mother since I was only one year old when she died. Maybe, something happened but they never said anything to me. All I know is that father has been avoiding any topic about mother. Even kuya Kaido and kuya Iklis changes the topic whenever I ask them about her.

Mother's existence is shrouded in mystery.