4: Magic

VESPER

We followed Grand Mage Suarez to the floor where the testing room is. They're going to test if I have talent for magic or not.

When my father notice me fidgeting while walking beside him, he take my hand as if to calm me down. "Are you nervous?" He warmly ask.

Gone were the dark aura around him a while ago when the Grand Mage mentioned my late mother. Sinuklian ko ito ng ngiti. "I'm fine, Father."

Though, I'll be lying if I say that I wasn't nervous. I am. But I'm also thrilled to know if I do have magic or not. Bago kami pumunta dito sa Magic Tower, nagbasa muna ako ng iilang libro sa library sa mansyon. At ayun sa mga nabasa ko, noong unang panahon halos lahat ng tao ay kayang magmanipula ng mana.

Especially those in the Lorence Kingdom, where the greatest magician in the world was found. In the old times, Lorence was called The Land of Magic. It was not just because the greatest Mages lives there but because even the common people can use magic and it was part of their every day life.

However, as time passes by, magicians became scarce. Children born without mana appeared in the succeeding generations and in today's times, they became so rare that you can only count them in your fingers.

So I wonder, how many percent is my chance of possessing enate talent for magic.

My heart took a leap when we're already standing in front of the room. The huge golden double door in front of us looks even more towering the more I stared at it. I gulp as my father pull my hand gently to enter.

May dalawang tao sa loob ng silid. Sila ata 'yong nautusang mag-ayos ng testing room. Lumapit ang isang lalakeng magician kay Grand Mage Suarez upang ipaalam dito na nakahanda na ang lahat.

I roam my eyes around. The room is spacious and it has two floors inside. Sa ikalawang palapag ay may kwarto kung saan krystal ang mga pader nito. Ngunit hindi kita mula sa labas ang mga tao sa loob nito. At rinig ko sa magician na kausap ni Grand Mage Suarez that Grand Mage Hina was inside that room and she will be monitoring the test up there.

In the center of the room, there's a circular platform and a round transparent crystal ball.

Ang isa sa dalawang magician na nadatnan namin sa loob ay nakatayo sa kabilang banda, naka ekis ang mga braso sa dibdib nito at naka obserba sa mga kaganapan. I immediately notice him since his glare hurt my back. I don't know what's his problem, however he's been glaring at me from the moment I stepped foot inside the room.

"V, remember what I told you, even if you don't have talent for magic, I'm always be by your side. So do whatever it is that your heart desires." Ginulo nito ang buhok ko bago pumunta sa gilid.

"Lady Vesper, please follow me."

Nabalik ako sa kasalukuyan nang marinig si Grand Mage Suarez. Hawak-hawak pa rin nito ang puting balbas niya. I immediately followed behind him to the platform in the center of the room.

"I'm now going to explain the test, Lady Vesper, please listen carefully because I'm only going to say it once. The test is quite simple. You don't need to do anything complicated, all you need to do is put your hand in the crystal ball. If it turns red, you have high magic affinity to fire magic. If it's navy blue, water affinity, azure blue for ice, brown for earth, gold for metal, silver for lightning, green for plants and so on and so forth." The Grand Mage explain as he walk around me in circle.

I force myself not to stare at him as he walk around me dahil nahihilo lang ako sa ginagawa niya. Hindi ko maintindihan kung ano ba ang trip nito sa buhay at panay ang ikot sa akin.

"Those were just the common magic affinity. Violet for necromancer, a rare affinity that only three magicians got to have in the entire history of magic. Black for black magic, scarlet for blood magic and so on and so forth. Those magic affinities are now banned in our Kingdom for the danger they possessed. If you happen to have high affinity with any of those, we have no choice but to restrain and held you captive..." He intentionally pause which made me gulp.

I cross my finger, hoping that I won't be unlucky enough to have high affinity with any of those magic. I don't want to be restrain!

"Even if you're a member of the Frontera Dukedom, we won't allow a Necromancer, a Blood Magician nor a Black Magician run free in the Kingdom. Now, put your hand in the crystal and pray that you'll get something else other than those."

Ilalagay ko na sana ang kamay ko sa krystal gaya ng utos nito ngunit natigilan ako. Bigla akong may naalala. Isang tanong na biglang pumasok sa isip ko.

"Ano'ng kulay ang lalabas kapag...wala kang talento sa mahika?" Muling tumambol ng malakas ang puso ko habang hinihintay ang sagot nito.

Ilang sandali kaming nagkatinginan. Siya na tila baliwalang hinihimas ang puting balbas niya at ako na kinakabahan sa maaaring maging sagot niya.

"Nothing."

"Huh?"

"As you don't have any magic affinity, the crystal ball will emit white light and then vanish."

"I see."

Bumuntong hininga ako ng malalim bago pikit matang ipinatong ang kamay sa crystal ball. Ilang sandali ang lumipas na walang nangyayaring kakaiba. Napamulat ako ng mga mata, curious to what was happening to the crystal ball or if it already shown any color.

Much to my dismay, the crystal ball remain as it was when I first saw it. Nothing change.

Nothing...

Does it mean I don't have talent for magic?

My lips open but I immediately close them again and bite the inside of my cheek as I swallowed the bitterness and frustration I feel. I sigh. I see, I don't have talent for magic.

As I was about to remove my hand and accept my fate that magic isn't really destined for me but the ball suddenly glowed red, then change to azure blue, gold, green, even pink which is the first time I've seen. Even Grand Mage Suarez didn't mention that color.

I held my breath as I was the crystal ball changes color in amazement. Hindi ko mapigilan ang sariling mamangha sa nakikita ko. It was beautiful.

The last color that was shown was violet then it disappears like nothing happened. The room was silent.

Excited kong binalingan ng tingin ang Grand Mage with my hopeful eyes. The ball didn't just glowed to one color, different colors was seen as if they were dancing, I'm sure I'm one of those magicians with rare magic talent.

The never been seen before talent! A magician with multiple magic affinities, perhaps?

"I'm sorry, it seems like the crystal ball is broken."

What?