22: Take Some Break

VESPER

"Lady Vesper, are you alright?"

I blink multiple times and turn my gaze towards the High Priest. Na ngayon ay nag-aalalang nakatingin sa akin. Nakakagalaw na ito, kung gayun ay wala na ang kapangyarihan ni Malaya. Napatingala ako at wala na rin akong liwanag na nakita.

I compose myself. "Ayos lang ako, High Priest. Salamat sa pag-aalala. But would it be alright if I ask you something?"

"Yes, go ahead. Sasagutin ko ang mga katanungan mo kung kaya ko itong sagutin."

I was reluctant at first but in the end still decided to ask him. "Have you converse with Malaya, I mean the Goddess Malaya before?"

"Converse," he ponder for a moment as he tried to recall something. "Not quite a conversation but the Goddess talk to me through dreams and visions giving specific command and orders."

"You haven't talk to her like one on one?" Paninigurado ko pa. Kasi naman hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala na nakausap ko ito. Parang panaginip na ewan na hindi ko maintindihan. Pakiramdam ko tuloy nababaliw na talaga ako.

"No one ever did, except for the Saintesses. According to scriptures, the past Saintesses can converse freely with the Goddess."

"I see, thank you for answering my question. Would it be alright if I ask you a favor, Your Excellency?"

"As long as it's withing my power, I'll gladly do so, My Lady."

"Thank you," tumayo ako. "Can you cast a protective barrier around the estate? You know, assassins have been going in and out of my estate. My servants were killed one after the other just after I was attempted to be poisoned. It worries me that I won't be able to avoid the next attempt."

It was a favor too great to ask. Even the King won't be able to receive such favor easily even if he personally ask. The only people the High Priest, The Bishop and The Saint accepts favor was when their Goddess tells them to. And I'm asking this favor right now to check if Malaya really did blessed me.

If she did favor me, she will tell her servant to accept my favor but if the conversation I had a while ago was nothing but the product of my wild imagination, then, I'll go seek professional help - kidding. Professional help my ass.

The whole society will laugh at me and I'll be their topic until the next generation.

"Alright. I'll come back the day after tomorrow to do the casting myself. Don't worry too much, My Lady. The Temple will not close its doors to you,"

I blink. Huh? The High Priest accepted my favor but it feels unreal to me. He accepted it easily like it was just nothing... And he was smiling at that. A friendly smile, like he doesn't want to get on my bad side.

Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala sa kung gaano kadali ang mga pangyayari hanggang sa tuluyan na nga itong nakaalis. Babalik na lang daw siya sa susunod na araw. I was left alone in the drawing room for a few moments before I stood up and walk towards the door.

Bubuksan ko na sana ang pinto ngunit may biglang nalaglag na butiki mula sa kisame. Napatalon at napasigaw ako sa gulat. Halos takasan ako ng kaluluwa ko.

At nagmamadali ring pumasok si Jay sa loob ng drawing room kasama ang ibang knights dahil sa narinig na sigaw ko. Lahat nag-aalala sa akin.