16: Last Goodbye

VESPER

"My Lady, it's done."

Napatingin ako sa salamin nang matapos si Abby sa pag-aayos sa buhok ko. Nakasuot ako ng itim na damit at itim na sombrero sa aking ulo. Hindi rin gaano kakapal ang kolorete sa aking mukha at walang kahit ni isang palamuti akong suot.

Kaya naman kapansin-pansin ang tila walang buhay kong mga mata. Dark circles were found beneath my eyes that the make up tries to conceal.

Tumayo na ako sa aking kinauupuan at umalis. Hindi ko na binigyan pa ng ikalawang tingin ang sarili ko sa salamin. I don't want to see that dead eyes that reflected in the mirror.

Today is the day that we'll send all the knights and Kuya Kaido to their last resting place. I sigh before finally going out. I told myself that I must be brave today. I won't shed a single tear and bid my last goodbye to kuya Kaido with a smile.

The kind of smile he always love to see.

Right. V, smile. Don't cry.

Don't show any weakness especially there are a lot of people watching. Not all the people that attend are genuinely here to console you for your loss, some went here to find any weakness they can use to bring down the Frontera Dukedom.

You are the only one left to protect this family. I must stand firm until father and kuya Iklis return.

Everything went smoothly. We arrived at the cemetery and even the High Priest was the one to start the mass. I'm surprised Alfonso managed to convince the Temple to send the High Priest here.

The ceremony took at least two hours and a lot of things happened. I can hear the sniffles, wailing, sobbing, whimpering, groaning, and bawling of the families of the deceased knights behind me.

The hair on my body stood on ends as their cries of pain and sorrow seep through every pores of my skin. It's giving me goosebumps and a disgusting kind of relief knowing that I wasn't the only one who's hurt.

I know it wasn't right to feel relieved in someone else misfortunes but I was glad that I wasn't the only one going through this difficult times.

"May the Goddess of Time and Justice welcome these brave souls in her embrace as they met the end of their life in this world. And may the Goddess comfort the bereaved families,"

That's the last thing the High Priest said before they lowered the coffin in the ground. One by one, everyone throw white roses as they were buried by soil. And as for me, I still couldn't let go of the white rose I'm holding. It's as if I'll be totally letting kuya Kaido go once I throw the flower.

Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala kung gaano kabilis ang mga pangyayari. Kahit bali-baliktarin ko man ang mundo, kailanman ay hindi ako handang magpaalam sa kahit sino man sa pamilya ko. I wasn't, and I will never be ready to let them go.

"How shocking, hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala na nangyari sa Frontera Dukedom 'to."

"I know right! They were high up in the food chain but look at them now, it only took a single night fro them to drop in the bottom!"

"May news na ba kung ano at sino ang umatake sa kanila? It must be really strong, right? Even the heir couldn't survive and the Duke was nowhere to be found."

"True. Pero ang sabi halimaw daw? Hindi pa sigurado but it seems like a new specie of monster."

"Oh my! Is it a mutant? Perhaps a new kind of a chimera?"

"I wonder what will happen to their family now."

"They're surely collapse."

"Buti nga sa kanila --"

"Shh baka marinig ka ni Lady Vesper!"

"So what? What can she even do now that her father and brothers are gone? Let's just be honest now, she's nothing now that her family's ruined!"

Ruined? My family's ruined?

I only stared coldly at them behind me but they suddenly grow pale and immediately leave in a hurry. Ang tapang-tapang nilang mag pag-usapan ang pamilya ko sa mismong likuran ko tapos isang tingin pa lang ay takot na agad sila?

"Excuse me, My Lady."

Nakuha nito ang atensyon ko nang may magsalita sa tabi ko. Pamilyar ang boses kaya binalingan ko ito ng tingin. It's the High Priest.

Mukha itong nagliliwanag dahil sa puting damit na suot at sa tila kulay pilak niyang buhok. "May I speak with you for a moment?" He added.

"We can talk here,"

"You have my deepest sympathy and unwavering support. With the Goddess Malaya's blessing, I wish you peace, comfort, courage, and lots of love at this time of sorrow and difficulty. If you find things too difficult for you in the future, don't hesitate to visit the temple."

"Thank you for the offer."

"I apologize for taking too much of your time when you should spend it to bid goodbye with your brother for the last time. I'll be taking my leave now, My Lady. May the Goddess's blessings be upon you." He slightly bow with his right hand in his chest.

Ang elegante at ang hinhin niya tignan, parang hindi makabasag pinggan.

Pinanood ko lamang ang papalayo nitong pigura hanggang sa tuluyan na siyang nawala sa paningin ko. Weird. There's certainly weird about him, his eyes, the way he look at me as if he knows something that I don't know. And his offer. I haven't heard anything like this before.

Though the High Priest is kind, just and benevolent he is not someone who would offer such thing to someone. The Temple is open to anyone, nobles and commoners alike. Everyone knows that you can enter there to pray. And other priests and nuns invite people to visit the Temple but never had I heard the High Priest invite anyone.

What is he up to? I don't even know him personally.

But surprisingly, I don't find him suspicious. Sa totoo pa nga niyan ay magaan ang loob ko sa kanya. Hindi ko alam kung bakit.

Ilang sandali pa ang lumipas ay tuluyan ng natabunan ng lupa ang mga kabaong. Umalis na rin ang lahat ng tao sa sementeryo ngunit hindi pa rin ako umaalis. Nakatayo pa rin ako sa harap ng puntod ng nakakatanda kong kapatid habang hawak-hawak ang puting rosas.

I know things happened so suddenly but I must gather myself. I can't remain sad forever - though I want to. I must resolve myself right here and right now because once I return to the estate, a war will commence.

"Alfonso,"

"Yes, My Lady. Please speak."

"How's the families of the deceased first squad? Nabigyan na ba sila ng kompensasyon?"

"Yes, My Lady. It was already taken care of."

"How about the vacant position of the Knight Commander? I can't fill in that position, you already know that for some reason, I can't wield a sword. Do you have someone you can recommend?"

"How about Gran Sebastian? He's very loyal with enough skills and talent to back it up."

I ponder for a moment. I also think Gran is loyal to the family but he's currently in Mucul Village, investigating the incident. If I'll appoint him as the new Knight Captain, he need to return, thus, who will be left to investigate the case? I certainly can't leave that to the Caliber family.

Though our families are in good terms but I can't trust them.

"Who's the third squad captain?"

"It's Knight Jay Serpania, My Lady."

"Tell him to guard my chamber later and tighten the security around the estate."

Mukha itong naguguluhan sa sinabi ko ngunit hindi naman siya nagtanong at mabilis na sinunod ang utos ko. There's also another reason why I can't put Gran in the Knight Commander's position for now. I don't have enough power to give that to him. My position in the family hasn't been solidified yet.