23: Find Her

VESPER

"I told you, this is me, Malaya!" Hindi ko alam kung pang-ilang beses na ba niya nasabi sa akin 'yan ngunit hanggang ngayon ay hindi ko pa rin ito pinapansin. I acted like I never heard her or she isn't here at all. I'm not crazy enough to talk to lizards.

I lost count how many days had already passed since she started following me around, claiming to be Malaya. Bumalik na ang High Priest at nag cast ng protective barrier at lahat lahat na sa estate pero ni minsan ay hindi ko ito binigyan pansin.

Nope. No thanks.

"My Lady, the Goddess wanted to convey that she's very saddened because you've been ignoring her." It was the exact words of the High Priest before he left the estate that day. Of course I don't know what he mean by that since I've been offering gifts for Malaya at the altar I specifically made just for her.

In just an instant I become her follower.

"I'm the Goddess!" Tila gigil na gigil ito.

Bumuntong hininga ako at sa huli ay binalingan ito ng tingin. She's really stubborn. Matutulog na sana ako kaya nga lang bine-bwesit naman ako ng butiki na 'to kaya hindi ako makatulog kahit anong gawin ko.

"Pero isa kang butiki." Giit ko.

"Have you ever seen a lizard talk before?"

Napaisip naman ako ng ilang sandali sa sinabi nito. True, I've never seen a lizard talk before but...

"Fine," she roll her eyes and transform into a golden ball of light. I gasp when I realize how familiar the warmth of her light is.

"Malaya!" I exclaim.

"You're so slowwww!" Sambit nito bago muling bumalik sa pagiging butiki. She even explain that in order to be with me all the time she must turn herself into an animal. I told her that there were a lot more animals available but why did she choose a lizard?

"Feel ko lang," that's her answer. Mabilis ko itong dinampot at tinapon - kidding. I'm not that heartless. Besides she's a Goddess. He he.

And starting that day she's been with me wherever I go. I even introduced her to the maids and knights, to Alfonso, Clarissa and Edio, the finance head of the family, for them to know that she's my pet.

I named her, "Aya," since I can't afford to introduce her as Malaya, people will criticize me for naming a mere lizard the same name as the Goddess.

"Saan mo nakuha 'to, My Lady?" Clarissa and Alfonso ask.

"Diyan lang sa tabi-tabi," tila walang pakialam kong sagot habang nagpeperma ng mga papeles. Napaangat ako ng tingin at sinulyapan si Abby habang inaayos nito ang mesa kung saan ako kanina kumain.

Ever since I that day, it's been awkward between the two of us. Tho she's been cheerful as always, there's still this awkward air whenever we're left alone. I sigh.

Nang lumabas ito after ayusin ang mesa ay inilabas ko ang envelop kung saan naglalaman ng report mula kay Gran. I've been receiving reports from him on a regular basis but nothing really stand out until the recent report. Ibinigay ko ito kina Alfonso upang makita nila.