14: The Funeral

VESPER

I was reluctant at first to accept their help as I don't find them pleasing to be around. However, it didn't matter because just like he said, the Frontera and the Caliber families has always been on the friendly terms. Masisira ko lamang ang magandang pagkakaibigan ng dalawang pamilya kapag tinanggihan ko ang tulong na alok nila.

Even Gran think the same. So in the end, we accepted their offer and proceed with the search. Siguro ayos na rin 'to, mas marami mas mapapabilis ang paghahanap.

Ang mga myembro ng second squad ay mabibilis at pulido ang mga galaw. Maayos din ang koordinasyon nila sa isa't-isa kaya walang nasayang na oras. At isa pa, napuntahan na rin naman nila ang ilang lugar, may mga palatandaan pa nga silang inilagay. Isang pulang ekis na marka.

That means, they've already thoroughly searched that place.

"But it'll be a good thing to check it one more time, right? Mas mabuti na 'yong sigurado, kaysa naman magsisi sa huli. At isa pa, buhay ni Duke Frontera at ang anak niya ang nakasalalay dito. Pero depende sa inyo, as I am only a third party here the best I can do is give advice." Ainelle slyly advice to Gran as he play his hat in his fingers.

Nang mapansin nitong nakatingin ako sa kanilang gawi ay nginitian ako nito sabay kaway ng kamay niya. Pinigilan kong huwag ngumiwi at iikot ang mga mata ko.

"Team A, prepare to advance, Team B searched again the areas we already marked yesterday. And Team C follow the river to the south. As it's almost an unknown territory, escape if you encounter any dangers, don't engage unless necessary. This mission is not to engage in any fights but to search for the Duke and young master Iklis!" Gran commanded and the knights immediately followed his order.

They left to three directions and according to their team. Meanwhile naiwan naman ang sampong knights mula sa Caliber Dukedom, si Ainelle, si Gran at ako.

"We'll take this route, follow me."

Agaran kaming sumunod kay Gran papasok sa madilim na kagubatan. Malamig at madilim ang paligid, wala halos liwanag ang nakakapasok dito dahil sa kakapal na mga dahon ng mga punong kahoy. Basa rin ang damo at lupa kaya tudo ingat ako sa paglalakad.

But even how careful I was, my foot still slip. Before my body fell to the wet ground, a muscular arms wrap around my body, stopping my unfortunate fate.

"Careful, My Lady."

Napahawak ako dito ng wala sa sarili. Nang magtama ang mga mata namin ay naitulak ko ito ng mahina. I was only startled that I push him, but it also looks rude to just push him like that after he helped me. So I apologize and thank him for his help.

He immediately accepted thanks and apology like it was nothing. Mas lalo akong naghinala sa kanya. Hindi ko alam kung bakit pero hindi talaga palagay ang loob ko sa kanya. He looks like he knows something but he won't say it.

I might sound judgemental but he looks like he won't blink even if someone dies in front of him.

Nagpatuloy pa ng ilang araw ang paghahanap namin kina papa at kuya Iklis ng wala halos pahinga. Ngunit sa ikalimang araw ay isa-isang dumating ang ilang myembro ng pamilya namin, at sinabihan ako na itigil ko na ang pagsama sa paghahanap. Sapilitan nila akong pinauwi sa estate.

I was usually stubborn and didn't follow anyone unless I think highly of them. And I don't think highly of the other members of our family, especially Viscount Trainor Von Henson.

My brothers always warned me about him. They told me that though he's very loyal to the family, he covet the family's head position.

And he's one of the family members that went here to force me to return. At first I don't plan to listen to them but when they mention Kuya Kaido, my mind change.

I returned home, leaving completely to Gran's hand the mission to search for my father and kuya Iklis. The first thing I did the moment I return was to visit kuya Kaido in his room but got totally taken aback when a funeral was already prepared for him.

Hindi pa nga natatanggap ng sistema ko ang pagkawala niya tapos may lamay na nagaganap?

Simula nong sinabi ng mga doctor na hindi nakaligtas si kuya Kaido kahit na ginawa nila ang lahat ay hindi ako naniwala. No, more like I refuse to accept. Not him, not my brother. He's not weak to die just like this.

This is not real. I refuse to accept this.

"Ano'ng nangyayari? Bakit may mga bulaklak dito? Walang paglalamayan! Hindi patay si Kuya Kaido!" Sigaw ko at isa-isang pinag-aalis ang mga puting rosas. "Ikaw! Alisin niyo 'yan! At kayo, ano'ng tinitingin niyo? Get out!"

As there were people inside the hall where kuya Kaido was laid, people who want to console the bereaved family. Mas lalo pang nakapagpa-init ng ulo ko ang mga suot nilang damit na panglamay. Histerikal kong hinatak ang isang maid na hindi pa kumikilos at sapilitan itong pinaalis sa kanya ang mga bulaklak.

"I said, get rid of it! Lahat ng 'yan alisin niyo!"

Wala silang nagawa at nanginginig na sinunod ang utos ko.

"Lady Vesper, kumalma ka! Hindi nakakatulong ang pagwawala mo! Patay na ang kapatid mo!"

"Please, calm down! Oh god, what's this mess?"

"Lady Vesper, it's disrespectful to your dead brother for you to act like that in his funeral! Get a grip of yourself!"

They were trying to calm me, trying to convince me that brother is dead but the more they tell me that, the more I gone wild. Pinagtatapon ko sa kanila ang estante ng bulaklak.

I even throw chairs at them and chase them out. I was supposed to throw the table but it's heavier than I thought, so I settled with the chair.

Even the maids left in a hurry. I can still remember the horrified look on their faces as they run for their lives away from me. I don't care, that is not my concern.

I was left alone inside with the cold corpse of my brother. Hinahapong napaupo ako sa tabi nito. Kinuha ko ang kamay niya.

It's stiff and cold.

Gone were the warmth that used to be there whenever I held brother's hand.

"Ah..."

I was surprised when tears trick down from my face. I blink and unconsciously touch my face. I'm... Crying?

My gaze turn towards my brother, who looks like he's only sleeping peacefully without a care in the world. I tried poking his cheek like he always does with mine. But he wouldn't budge.

Tears continue to flow from my eyes as my chest tighten. My tears turn to sobbing, and my sobbing soon turn to wailing as I tightly held my brother's hand who suddenly left the world without warning.

Kuya Kaido is gone. Father and Kuya Iklis are still missing and couldn't seem find any evidences about what truly happened.

I feel so alone now. It was too sudden. Like a theft that came without warning and took everything from me. My world turn upside down and it hurts.

It's unfair. How can they all leave me like this?

I cried and begged to the Goddess of our Kingdom. The Goddess Malaya. I begged and begged fervently the whole night. Even after my tears dried up and could no longer shed even a single drop and my throat hurt, couldn't speak properly but the Goddess was silent. No response was heard from her as if she didn't even exist in the first place.

And my brother remained dead and didn't open his eyes again.