Chapter 2: The Game Commences (probably might die)

A/n: tbh I came up with the game since the reader will be placed before the actual story takes place in the timeline I will be organizing the events in order and would make some of the games based on Japanese games but twisted because I needed to fill the gap.

To pass the two minutes, I decided to have some small talk with Aguni.

"So...what was your job before all this?" I asked

"Special Defence Force"

"Makes sense, since you seem like you know your way around a gun."

"Yeah."

"Yeah..."

I forgot how to socialize, and as soon as I get a room, I'm gonna sleep my embarrassment away.

It was pretty much an awkward silence between me and Aguni until the game started.

*Game Start*

*difficulty level: 4 of Spades*

*Game name: Statues*

.

.

.

.

.

.

*Rules of the game: One person will be chosen as the "curator" or "it" and will stand at the end of the field and the rest will start at the opposite end of the curator when the curator turns towards the 'statues', they would have to run and try and tag the curator. The curator may turn around any time they want, if the statues get caught by the curator, a wheel will be spun. The wheel will consist of two options, elimination or back to the line. If it's the elimination option, the player will be killed, if it's back to the line the player would have to restart. The curator will be declared the winner if they manage to eliminate all of the players or if they didn't get tagged. The statues will be declared the winner if one of them manages to tag the curator or the curator steps out of their circle. Good luck!*

Time limit: 00:45:00

.

*Selecting a curator*

.

.

.

.

*Curator Selected*

Everyone's phone pinged simultaneously as they looked down at their phone in anxiety. I looked down at my phone seeing that I am a 'statue'. I looked at Aguni trying to see what he got, he also got the role 'statue'. I looked around seeing everyone, curious to see which one was the curator, I saw a familiar short-haired girl before disappearing, I believe that one of the games that Usagi was the four of Spades, I shook my head, deciding that I should stay focused. Those who were selected as 'statues' walked towards the opposite end from the curator's side. I turned around to see a boy that looked like he was in high school, roughly around the age of 17 or 18 years old, standing alone in a circle, fearing for his life. I pitied him a little before completely focusing on coming up with a strategy to win this game.

Running has pros and cons it's since could make things quicker since you are on a time limit but the curator can also turn around anytime they want so you could slip up and get caught and possibly die. Walking is less risky in getting caught but you could run out of time and die. So it was basically a die-or-die situation, as I was busy coming up with something, Aguni's eyes scanned my figure, judging my character.

Aguni's P.O.V

The newbie doesn't seem all that special, just another face in the crowd for me but it was rare for someone to be greeted by Hatter personally. I wonder what makes them remarkable, I wanted to ask them but judging the way they act towards us, they seem like a clueless newbie who stumbled across the Borderland by chance. But there's no time for pondering about such things now, I should just focus on winning this game.

Y/N's POV

As soon as the timer started, people started to move across the field, some were running, some were walking, and some were jogging. The high school turned around fast as he could, catching a lot of people moving. Some were dead, which was pretty nauseating to look at but wasn't too bad, some were sent to the start. Honestly, it's a pretty good strategy but as enticing death sounds to me, I'm dying until I see the main cast.

00:24:32

I stuck to walking since its the safest option and I'm not too steady on my feet, while Aguni was jogging and was pretty good on his feet because as soon as the curator turned around, it was like he was an actual statue, no signs of wobbling, impressive. I started to go a little faster before completely stopping as the student turns around, eliminating a few other players. I was almost there, Aguni, unfortunately, was sent to the start but, at least he isn't dead. So I was tied with a few players that made it further than others.

00:15:14

I watched as three people got shot in the head as they fell onto their knees, headfirst into the puddle of blood they made. I felt like throwing up but not now since I'm so close to winning with just four more steps. The adrenaline was keeping me from collapsing, my heart was beating in my ears as I tried desperately to win. The boy was getting quicker turning around and I almost slipped up and fell, luckily, I didn't. I walked slowly, trying to be perfectly still as possible as the boy turned back I took this chance to dive and tackle the boy, tagging him.

[Game Complete! ] the announcer boomed my expression turned from relief to horror as I witnessed the boy get shot in front of me.

He choked on his blood, fell, and almost hit the ground if it weren't for me catching him and lowering him gently on the ground, he looked up at me, smiling at me sadly as if it was his way of saying.

it's not your fault.

I watched as the life in his eyes drain as the warmth that was once through his body escaped, leaving him as an empty husk. I looked down at my blood-stained hands, they were shaking ever so slightly, I felt so numb, so empty, trying to find any sort of guilt within me but alas, there was none. I was unaware of one pair of eyes staring at me in pity before leaving.

"Congratulations on your first win," Aguni said, snapping me out of my daze

"Thanks..." I won so why do I feel so empty?

"Don't feel guilty over something that's not in your control."

"Yeah, I know..." still feeling a little dazed by the events that happened.

"Here." he handed me a playing card.

"This is a trophy of some sort that represents your first win and that your days alive are extended."

"A Visa right?"

"Yes, let's go back to the Beach, the others must be waiting."

I wordlessly followed him to the car that awaited our arrival.

A/N: I am open to any constructive criticism, after all, this is my first fanfic :)

Unedited