His First, Her Last

"Have a safe trip kids

"Have a safe trip kids."

Akari smiled at the three young demon slayers looking up at her with those brilliant innocent eyes. Well, she assumed Inosuke looked like that behind his mask.

She bent down to Nezuko's eye level and ruffled her hair. "Take care of them for me, okay love?"

"Mmpf! Mmpf!" Nezuko bobbed her head as if making a promise and then crawled inside her box.

"Oh!" The hashira exclaimed as Zenitsu suddenly clung to her Haori.

"I don't wanna go!" He wailed in his typical Zenitsu dramatic way. "Please don't make me leave you! Oh, what am I going to do-"

Akari sighed and patted his head absentmindedly as he rambled some nonsense about dying. She turned to Tanjiro.

"I'll see you after a few days, hopefully. And then we can get started on controlling your breathing now that your physical abilities can withstand Sun Breathing longer."

"Hai!" Tanjiro nodded enthusiastically. He then tore the blonde apart from Akari and dragged him away.

"Oi! When I come back we're going to have a rematch!" Inosuke jabbed his sword toward her.

"Are you really sure you want to lose to me again like yesterday?" She raised an eyebrow.

"I may have lost yesterday but-"

"And the other 60 times."

"59! IT'S 59 LOSSES!"

Akari laughed. She hoped he never lost that ragged energy. This line of work tended to make most people lose their sense of wonder and excitement.

The redhead waved as she watched Inosuke stomp away and join the group that was already a few feet away. He started trying to provoke Tanjiro.

"IT'S TANJIRO NOT TANUMOKO! TANJIRO DA, TANJIRO!"

***********

Akari found Giyuu by the koi pond in the Water Estate. It was a big pond, filled with bright orange Nishikigoi. The sound of the sōzu and the splashing of the small waterfall pouring over the rocks that bordered one side of the pond made the place an abode of calm and relaxation.

Giyuu looked like a statue, so still and perfect. The only thing that gave away his sign of life was how his hair swayed in the gentle breeze.

His hands were folded behind his back and he appeared to be gazing at something far away. He paid no mind to the little duck quacking at his feet, trying to get his attention. It reminded her of a younger version of herself, trying to get him to acknowledge her.

She decided to sneak up on him, quietly tip-toeing across the soft moss surrounding the pond. But just as she reached out to grab him by surprise, he turned around.