Chapter 9

"Hey, where is Jimin?" Taehyung asks, looking around the nearly empty courtyard near the entrance to the university as he approaches Luna.

"He's got something to do," Luna explains, "Come on, let's go home,"

Earlier, Jimin sent her a text to let her know he has left school early to deal with something work-related. Apparently, it was very important. Instinctually, she didn't question it. They were raised to not question jobs or ask too many questions. They were even discouraged from talking about jobs. That didn't stop Luna and Jimin's drinking sessions as they gossiped and reminisced about the funny moments, even having deep and meaningful conversations about the harder ones.

Now, Taehyung and Luna are heading home in silence, taking the usual path back home. The weather today is warm and sunny with not a cloud in the sky. Yet, the breeze is incredibly cool. This type of weather is the perfect way to describe contentment as it brings her into such a calm, relaxed state. Taehyung also seems to be enjoying it, tilting his face so the heat warms him, a small smile on his face. The light from the sun mixed with his skin makes him look like he's glowing, exacerbated by his handsome features.

She looks away from him, telling herself off for admiring him again.

As they pass the little convenience store from the other week, Luna eyes it with longing, imagining a nice ice cream to brighten her day. Taehyung is watching her, smirking to himself as he stops in front of the store. Luna walks a few steps before realising Taehyung has stopped. She turns to look at him, frowning.

"What are you doing?" She asks as he starts walking towards the little store.

"Want to buy something?" He asks, gesturing to the glass windows. She looks again, her eyes bright as she eyes a blown-up picture of a chocolate cone, her favourite. He grins, nodding to himself as he heads inside.

"What are you doing?" She asks again, following him in. He heads straight to the ice cream section, picking up the ice cream she was looking at.

"This one?" He asks, tilting his head as he observes her. She frowns, folding her arms. He nods, grabbing an ice cream for himself before heading to the counter. He pays for the ice creams and leaves the store; all the while Luna is whining at him to stop buying her things.

"Yah..." She pouts, feeling frustrated. She is so tempted to just kick him right in the...

"You obviously wanted it," He shrugs, opening his own ice cream, "Enjoy it,"

"Why do you do that?" She murmurs, begrudgingly unwrapping her ice cream.

"It's not like I'm getting you something expensive," He points out, "I don't expect anything in return,"

"You might..." She admits as they start walking slowly towards the complex which is just around the corner from the store.

"Well, I don't, believe me," Taehyung chuckles, "That would be such a poor attempt at blackmail, coercion, or even bribery. If I was going to do that, I'd buy you a car,"

"Don't do that either," She mumbles as he chuckles in response.

"Why don't you like people spending money on you?" He asks curiously. She takes a moment to ponder this question, thinking back to her life in America. Surely, it would be her father buying her a new phone before dropping the truth about his job. Or maybe it was when Jungkook brought her a beer and then expected her to sleep with him. Or maybe when her mother would tell her that she has to do as she says because of all the things she has brought for her.