It was my past all over again, but in a different point of view.

All I could remember was the pain I felt that day, in that jail cell. On the concrete floor, shivering in nothing but underwear as I was belittled and ridiculed. Beaten, starved.

Seeing her like how I saw myself in that moment enraged me to my very core. But judging from the blood splatters she had on the surfaces of her skin, it seemed as though she already handled some of it herself.

It was her eyes. The way they could explain themselves to me the emotional pain she felt in that moment. The way she collapsed into me once she realized she was safe. The way my hands felt her shaking body and tried to stabilize her because she was shaking so violently.

I can feel the heavier presence of the bracelet I gifted her in my pocket, sitting there, weighing me down. I brought it for her because she's been asking where it was for weeks from losing it. I could never bare myself to look at it again if she was gone.

It shattered me more than my past shattered myself. But I couldn't bring myself to come close to comparing. She was someone who I will protect with my life.

And if you were to ask Simon Riley two years ago he would have told you to fuck off. That he has better matters to attend to.

But now? I'd lay down and die for someone.

Is this what they say love really is?