Chapter 23 ♣️

"Was that really necessary?" Mark asked once they were inside.

"Yes," Taeyong said, brushing it all off. "They would just keep calling and pestering us-"

"Because they care about us, Taeyong." Mark's voice was soft again, and he gently held Taeyong's hands in his own. "They're worried, don't be so harsh on them."

Taeyong looked at the man in front of him, who was showing nothing but compassion at the moment. "I know you're right, Mark. But what I said stands for now." He leaned towards the younger and gently kissed him. "You're mine and only mine for right now."

Mark sighed and turned away, smiling however. "You're hopeless."

Taeyong lightly turned the smiling Mark back towards him. "I think this whole marriage thing might just work, Mark."

Mark's eyes went wide with surprise. "What?"

"Not even Doyoung has tempted me to change my mind on something so trivial." He kissed Mark gently. "This might just work."

Mark was blushing rather seriously at this point. "You're being ridiculous. I didn't do anything." Mark waved his arms dismissively and walked over to the couch. "We should've grabbed takeout while we were in town," he mumbled, turning on the TV.

But he couldn't stop the racing in his heart, or the blush creeping up on him every time he thought about Taeyong's words. He heard the front door shut, and he turned to see Taeyong driving off through the window.

Did he just mess up?

Taeyong had similar thoughts as he drove back into town to get the food for Mark. He said what he did, but he still found himself dialing Doyoung.

"I thought we would get punished if we contacted either of you," Doyoung said rather sarcastically.

"I think this marriage with Mark will work."

There was radio silence on the other end of the call. "So you'll marry him then?" Doyoung said after some time.

"Don't be like that, please," he begged through the call.

"Be like what? I'm happy for you," Doyoung said, though there was no emotion in his words.

Taeyong pulled the car into one of the few parking lots in the town, though you could barely call it a parking lot. "Doyoung..."

There was another long pause of silence from the younger. "Just give me some time to come to terms with everything, Taeyong. I know you still love me, and I still love you, but this is a lot. You know what our plans were."

Taeyong hung his head. "I'm sorry."

"I am too." And with those final words, Doyoung ended the call.

Taeyong went in the restaurant and was almost immediately greeted by the owner. "Taeyong! It's been so long since you were here! I was beginning to think you forgot about all of us."

Taeyong smiled softly, but it was clear there was pain behind it. "I'm sorry I don't visit more, Ms. Park. Life keeps me busy."

She smiled and brought him to one of the tables in the restaurant. "Catch an old lady up will you?" Taeyong nodded but placed his order with the young man at the counter first. He took the seat across from the lady. "What's been like in Seoul?"

"It's been good. I've met lots of wonderful people," he said, aware of the routine conversation around here. "How have your children been?"

She smiled kindly before looking at her hands. "Eunji is doing well, she's off in Seoul doing her thing with fashion. You should see her store when you have a chance, her clothes seem similar to what you're wearing."