Chapter 4

six years later, age 24

In less than a year, it will be Zelda's seventeenth birthday. The ancient machines, Revali told you sixteen years ago were all excavated. They call them Divine Beasts. King Rhoam was looking for a champion from the Ritos, Gerudos, Gorons and Zoras to pilot them. Only the best warrior from the different races was chosen. Chief Urbosa from the Gerudos, Princess Mipha from the Zoras, Daruk from the Gorons and Revali from the Ritos.

'He really did it' you thought when you heard Revali was chosen. 'He wanted to be the best archer and he made it. I am proud but I hope it was worth it'. The two of you are no more friends. After your father's death, you were on good terms but after your hard training with your spear it was more and more a rivalry.

In the end, he became the captain of the archers and you became a captain of the spear wielders. His ego has grown rapidly and he wanted nothing to do with you anymore. When he looked at you, he had this appraising look. At the beginning, it broke your heart but now, you are used to it. Despite everything, you cared for him somehow. Only because he was there when you needed him most.

A couple of weeks ago was the official ceremony at the castle, where the champions were announced. Since then, he was even more cocky than usual. Even his own mother was not amused about his behaving. You were not sure, if it was really his character now or if it was stress.

Monster attacks increased heavily and he was most of the time fighting. Now that he is a Champion, he and the General of the Rito army, have to do most of the work. One day, they had to fight Link, because he was accompanied with a little guardian. As it turned out, the little guardian was not the same as the one who led the monster attacks on your village.

"Hey (Y/N), we have an urgent meeting in 15 minutes, come to the flight range" another Rito Captain told you. When you arrived at the flight range there were Revali, the Village elder and all the other Captains. "What is going on? Where is the General?" you asked one of the captains but he did not know.

The elder began to speak. "With great regret I have to inform you, that our general is badly injured and cannot continue his job." You could see the shock on everyone's face. Even Revali had sadness in his eyes but he was not shocked as the other. 'Guess he knew it already'.

"In times like these, when all armies in Hyrule are needed most, we have to announce a new General immediately. We have to keep fighting for our home, our families and our Kingdom." He sighed heavily and everyone could see it was not an easy topic for him. "To make it short: Congratulations (Y/N), the job is yours."

"What!?" You and Revali said at the same time. As you look at him he continued: "Why is (Y/N) the new General? It should be my job! I am the best archer and even a Champion! I am way better than her!" He was full of anger and his feathers fluffed up as he looked at you.

"Revali, please calm down" the elder said. "You are both the best in you different sections with your weapons. As you already said, you are the Champion, which means you are very busy and have other things to do. We need someone who is here most of the time and if I remember correctly you two are friends of old. So I do not see a problem for you two to get along."

You looked to Revali who was glaring you down with a look you never seen before. So much anger and disappointment were in his eyes. He did not say anything, after a while he just huffed and flew away. 'Wow, this is a great start. Should I go after him? I have to, if I want to save our friendship.'

He flew away to the secret hot springs in Hebra. When you saw him he was shooting arrows in a group of trees. "Leave me alone!" He yelled when you landed behind him. "No, I want to talk to you, you are still my friend."

"Friend!? Really, (Y/N)? I don't see a reason why you should call us friends." Sadness came over you. "What happened to you? Do you really hate me so much?" He laughed out loud in a cruel way. "Of course I hate you! The last years you became my rival and now you want to take away my job. Do not forget I am the best archer ever and a champion! You will never be as good as me. We have not been friends for a long time. Now go away!"

Your heart broke into pieces and you could not hold back your tears anymore. "As you wish" was everything you were able to say with a broken voice. Then you flew away without looking back. Revali noticed you were crying. "I am sorry (Y/N), but I cannot let you get in my way to achieve my goals" he whispered to himself.