CHAPTER XVIII - THEY'RE VINTAGE.

April 2012. 21:56. Somewhere at a GYM in Brooklyn. Brooklyn, NY.

Third Person POV.

The muscles on his back tensed with every blow he threw at the punching bag, each of those, bringing a painful memory to his mind that was only breaking his heart a little more and taking him back to his initial conclusion.

He shouldn't be here.

He should be dead.

He shouldn't have been saved.

He should be in another era, another time.

With one last punch, the bag went flying to the other side of the GYM, a whole instantly ripping it apart.

His chest heaved rapidly because of his quick breathing. Panting, he turned around and went to grab another (of the many) punching bags that were laying on the floor just a few feet away from him. After removing the hair from his face, he started throwing punches once again, but he didn't get very far, when a voice interrupted him.

-Trouble sleeping?.- He asked. Steve turned to look at the man in black suit. His hands were behind his back and he was standing at the door.

Steve looked at him for a moment and then turned back to his bag, punching it again.

-I've slept for seventy years, sir. I think I've had my fill.- The soldier said as he started punching, a sound came out of it every time his covered fists came in contact with the leather material.

-Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world.- Nick said as he stepped closer to the soldier.

Steve looked at him as he stopped his movements.

-Tour guide's busy. She's shown me enough.- Steve said and looked down at his shoes. The director just looked at him, knowing exactly who the soldier was talking about. Steve started to walk as he removed his bandages from his hands. -When I went under, the world was at war.- He said, walking towards his bag. -I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost.- At the words, Nick's only eyebrow rose in amusement.

-Well that sounds vaguely familiar.- Nick said.

Steve was quoting something Sophia had told him the first time they met when he asked her about the war and after thinking of her words and reflecting on them for a while, he knew she was right.

When they talk about the war, they always talk about all the triumphs and good things that came with it, and after that. But no one ever really stops to think about everything that was taken away from a lot of people, from everyone who was left behind.

-It's true.- Steve said as he finished with the wrap on his hands and folded it over.

-We've made some mistakes along the way.- Nick made a pause. -Some very recently.- He looked at the Captain as he held the folder in his hands.

-Are you here with a mission, sir?.- Steve asked. The moment he saw the man standing in the door, he knew he was there for a reason.

When he talked to Sophia, she didn't say anything about Fury going to talk to him or about a mission, so he assumed that she didn't know either, and if she did, she didn't tell him.

-I am.- Fury responded.

-Still trying to get me back into the world?.- Steve asked even though he knew the answer.

The short period of time he had been out of the ice, since Sophia had offered to help him, had been spent in her trying to teach him everything that came after WWII, and trying to make him feel as comfortable as possible, but without pushing too much.