CHAPTER XXIX - AS A TEAM

April 2012. 14:16. Manhattan, New York City. NY.

Third Person POV

-Come on, we need to get up there.- Steve says as the four of them run through the bridge.

Before they kept going, all of them stop abruptly at the sound of something growling in the distance. Looking up at the sky, right above the tower, they see (another) strange alien-like creature. Only this one is a hundred times bigger and it's like a worm with a huge tail and sharp teeth.

-Holy fuck.- Sophia says under her breath.

The creature made its way down to where the team was standing and it flew right above their heads. Sophia looked at it and she had no idea if she should be amazed by the creature or terrified that things like this actually existed.

It was scary to know there had always been something more outside of what's known to the human race.

Suddenly, all those myths and legends, all those stories and conspiracies seemed to come true in less than a few hours. Everything that had been debunked by scientists, by researchers, everything that had been hidden and denied by governments, seemed to become real. There was no more doubt that as Nick said at some point, they were not the only ones out there.

Sophia had thought that after Tony became Iron Man and they had found out about a doctor who had an accident with gamma radiation that turned him into a green creature, she thought she had seen it all. That those were the biggest threats out there in the open. She thought that nothing would be any more crazy than that. Then, when Steve came into the picture, she knew there was an actual explanation for that, no matter how logical it was, it still seemed surreal for her.

When they trained her, they prepared her for everything. Take down a whole organization, bad people, terrorists and country enemies. Mercenaries, gangsters, crazy people craving for power, she had been taught how to take evil down in all its shapes and colours.

But they never prepared her to fight beings that came from legends, like Thor and Loki from Norse mythology, or creatures that came from outer space, like the ones currently terrorizing her home.

No one ever really told her how to fight this and she was not sure she'd be able to do it. They were a team now, but will that be enough in a situation like this?

As they watched the thing fly, they saw how other types of creatures jumped out of it and climbed into the buildings and skyscrapers, sliding from them and breaking through the windows, attacking people on the inside.

-Steve...- Sophia said as she waited for the Captain to say something. They needed to stop this and they need to do it now.

-Stark, are you seeing this?.- Steve called after a few seconds of looking at the sky and the flying creatures.

-Seeing. Still working on believing.- Tony said through the comms and Sophia agreed. No matter how long you stared at this, it was still hard to believe it was actually happening. -Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?.- Tony asked and Sophia scrunched her eyebrows in confusion.

-Banner?.- Steve asked, confused.

-What about Bruce?.- Sophia followed with another question, but Tony didn't answer either of them.

-Just keep me posted.- He said before turning the comms off.

-Come on, we need to take cover.- Sophia said as she ran towards some turned over taxis that were a few feet away from them. Natasha, Clint and her ran to crouch beside the taxi as they assessed the situation from their spot.