they aren't all bad

Several weeks had passed since my walk with Harry, my meeting of the black dog, my run in with Avery and my lesson with dad

I have not been out of the castle, I didn't want to bother anyone to go out with me. In that time I could have sworn to of seen the same black dog from time to time, within the castle. From the corner of my eye I've been sure to have seen it, lurking in shadows, its head peering around corners, and disappearing as soon as I turn to where it stood.

Avery and I haven't spoken since the night by the portrait hole. Our silence ate away at me until there was nothing of me left to take. I finally let her go, I let a part of me go. I'm not sure why our friendship was broken but I've come to terms that it is what it is.

Most every evening has been spent with my dad, after dinner I would walk to his living quarters within the castle. Some nights he would help me with homework, others we would bond over games of wizard chess or talk while playing gobstones, getting to learn about each other. Sometimes he would be behind on his coming lesson so I would relax in his big arm chair. I learned dad loves to read, that in his cottage he has a bookshelf built into a wall which is filled with books on anything you could ever want to learn. He told me about his parents, my grandparents Lyall and Hope. I once asked him about his time at Hogwarts, his time with my mum and about how they met but he changed the subject. I didn't bother to push it on him. I had my time to cope with her loss, perhaps he hasn't had enough of it.
___

"Did you hear about Goyle and that Ravenclaw girl?" Ron asked not caring who could hear. I took a seat beside Hermione Granger and looked toward the head table, to the place my dad usually sat. To my surprise, he wasn't there. He had never missed a breakfast once. I felt worried and lost my appetite. He told me yesterday not to come to his quarters that night. I didn't even think to question why but now I wish I did. He has been looking a bit worn out the last several days but I thought it could be from work.

"Are you ok?" Hermione asked, glancing in the direction my eyes were looking.

"You need to eat." Harry said. He began filling a bowl with oatmeal and fruit, "Ron mind passing the milk?"

In between a large bite of food Ron passed the carton. "Harry, thank you but I'm really not hungry."

"Whatever it is that's bothering, it's no excuse not to eat. Now go on." He slid the bowl in front of me. I rolled my eyes at him before looking down, just staring into the bowl.

"Will I have to feed it to you?" He asked, picking up my spoon and holding it in front of my face. I drop my head into my arms for a moment before raising it again, "fine I'll eat if it will keep you from being annoying." I took the spoon from his hand.

"I knew I could make you would come around! Now take a bite." He smiled and turned back to his own bowl.

Potions class was as uninteresting as ever and Snape was just as detestable. I sat with Katie and we brewed a Herbicide Potion. After class her and I worked on our homework in the courtyard, sipping on hot chocolate that she got us from the kitchen. We sat beside the fountain, sharing our warmth underneath a blanket.